How to capture actual parameters passed to SharedContainer?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

How to capture actual parameters passed to SharedContainer?

Post by John Smith »

Hi,
I am using ParameterSets to pass parameters to my jobs.
Sequence Job - runs Job A and Job B. Job B is a parallel job but passes data to a server shared container.(done that way due to historal reasons).
Shared container contains Oracle stages to write to a Oracle database.

Jobs run fine. However for some strange reasons , the Job B will occasionally abort. The job parameters are passed in the same way and nothing's changed. If I recompile the jobs and run them ,everything is back to normal.

I suspect it may have something to do with the combination of using ParameterSets and a server shared container.
Is there a way to capture the actual job parameters that were passed to the Shared containers?

Here is snippet of the director logs: Item #: 4
Event ID: 264978
Timestamp:: 2009-03-10 08:06:56
Type: Fatal
User Name: dsadm
Message:: EPOS_STAG_Load_XML_SP2.#0.SC_ParseXML.OE_Load_TITEM: User Id is a required stage property

User Id in this case is a Job Parameter from the Parameter Set and should always have a value if the job is doing what it's supposed to be doing.
Can someone shed some light on this? thanks,

JS
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I doubt that there's any way to "capture" the parameters passed to a shared container unless you put reporting stages into that shared container. Probably a Transformer and a Sequential File stage inserted into the stream, with the new output constrained as @INROWNUM = 1.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by John Smith »

Thanks for your reply Ray.

Do you reckon the problem that I have is a bug in Data Stage?
Is there a list of known bugs that I can refer to for v8.0.

JS
cppwiz
Participant

Post by cppwiz »

Known problems and workarounds for IBM InfoSphere DataStage Version 8.1

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... 8&lang=all

I've never seen this for v8.0, but maybe they have something.
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by John Smith »

Can confirmed that this is a bug. In order to test the theory,I deconstructed the shared container into a server job. So no passing of Parameters from a Parameter Set to a server shared container from a parallel job - problem disappeared.

I'm not going to pursue this further but just post this here just in case someone somewhere encounters the same problem.

The thing with this is that this bug causes the jobs to abort and the error would look as if the shared container was missing its job parameters.
E.g if you have a Oracle stage in there , you will see an error like "User id expected in this stage" ,or if you are writing to a sequential file stage with a Job Parameter as its file name ,you get an error like "error writing to file " and so on.
dsusersaj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsusersaj »

John Smith wrote:Can confirmed that this is a bug. In order to test the theory,I deconstructed the shared container into a server job. So no passing of Parameters from a Parameter Set to a server shared container from a parallel job - problem disappeared.
Thanks so much for this post and having this info about the bug clearly mentioned. I am getting the same error in the shared container and it fails with "User Id is a required stage property" error. This doesn't happen always. When this happens we will have to recompile the shared container and the jobs and everything works fine from then.

Can you please let me know if IBM has listed it anywhere as a bug?. I checked the link from above post and couldn't find it there.

You said "Can confirmed that this is a bug". Who is this ?.Is this somebody or some listing?. Can you reply back?

Thank you ,
dsusersaj
chrisjones
Participant

User Id is a required stage property

Post by chrisjones »

HI John,

I am also getting the same error, my job design is also similar like yours but the strange thing is the same job ran without any issues from last one yr and from yesterday onwards the job is aborting with error :"User Id is a required stage property ".

Is there any way to fix the above error? or we need to contact IBM for fix this bug?
Thanks,
Chris Jones