Configuring a computer to be a processing node for MPP (Wind

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Soma123
Participant

Configuring a computer to be a processing node for MPP (Wind

Post by Soma123 »

Hi,
Do we need to follow this step of Installation Guide i.e. " Configuring a computer to be a processing node for MPP (Windows) " incase we are loading Datastage on a single CPU.

here we have installed Datastage 8 on Windows 2003 Server and now confused on should we go for this Configuration or not. We will have One WIn 2003 Server m/c loaded with IBM Information Server and other win XP machines (3-4) having Datastage Client Components accessing the Server machine. Does it resemble with SMP configuration ?

If anyone could advise on this that would be very much helpful.

Thanks in advance.
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

You configuration does not qualify for an MPP env. Server on one machine and x number of clients is a simple SMP env.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I take it that this single-CPU server can deliver an infinite amount of processing, memory and disk I/O resources?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Soma123
Participant

Post by Soma123 »

Well, this Win 2003 server m/c having 4gb of memory ais going to be used for training purpose of Paralle Jobs. I think a SMP configuration will be sufficient.

But the DataStage 8 installation guide does not talk about any such specific configuration for SMP? What should be done for configuring this server m/c for SMP?

Will the "Default" configuration file generated during installation is sufficient to carry out the task for SMP?

Otherwise incase I configure the computer to be a processing node for MPP, will that cause any harm?

Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

An SMP configuration has the same fastname for all nodes mentioned in the configuration file. Provided that the default configuration file has two or more nodes it will be good for training in parallel jobs.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Soma123
Participant

Post by Soma123 »

Now I have created a configuration file having 2 Nodes to have SMP.
{
node "node1"
{
fastname "MACHINE1"
pools ""
resource disk "C:/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Datasets" {pools ""}
resource scratchdisk "C:/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Scratch" {pools ""}
}
node "node2"
{
fastname "MACHINE1"
pools ""
resource disk "C:/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Datasets" {pools ""}
resource scratchdisk "C:/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Scratch" {pools ""}
}

}

But why is it throwing so many Access Denied Error when I am validating it , like
C:/IBM/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/etc/vsvars32.ksh 108: cannot open "C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/sh087C.aab" for output: Access is denied.
C:/IBM/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/etc/vsvars32.ksh 108: C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/sh087C.aab: The system cannot find the file specified.
C:/IBM/InformationServer/Server/PXEngine/etc/vsvars32.ksh 131: cannot open "C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/sh087C.aad" for output: Access is denied.

thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Because the process doing the validation can not write to C:\Temp folder.
Soma123
Participant

Post by Soma123 »

Well after giving the permission now the Access denied error has gone. But now it's throwing a Warning "Virtual memory information is not available on this platform."

Now, where do I set up Virtual memory that will be visible to dataStage?