How does DataStage handle CLOB datatypes ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

arvindps
Premium Member
Premium Member

How does DataStage handle CLOB datatypes ?

Post by arvindps »

I have a table that has a CLOB datatype and when I tried to load the table into my warehouse, it gave me an error. The error it gave me was a Parallel job routine (code 134) . Apparently I figured out that DataStage doesn't like CLOB datatypes.

Please help me out and suggest me the steps on how to go about solving this issue.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

Fastest answer is usually obtained via Search (in menu at top) - others have usually encountered any problem, and may even have solved it.

You are correct that CLOB is not a data type supported by DataStage; most solutions treat these columns as if they were large VarChar data types.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Aggie99
Participant

Post by Aggie99 »

the DRS stage supports CLOB. You define it as LongVarChar with a lenght. The lenght is used to allocate memory to hold the CLOB data, as it implies, it could use up a lot of memory.

-aggie
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... and that means that the DRS stage supports LongVarChar, not CLOB.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Aggie99
Participant

Post by Aggie99 »

DRS can read and write CLOB datatype stored in database. In DRS stage, the datatype for the CLOB field is LongVarChar. That's how datastage handle it, as far as what I have been able to do to take CLOB data from one database source to another. ;)
arvindps
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by arvindps »

Thank you for the help guys
CLOPES
Participant

Post by CLOPES »

that's TRUE.
We insert CLOB using DRS stage with type longvarchar 10000000.
Extract faster, load faster and read faster too if you use an OCI to read other columns in another job.