Lookup null value on DB2 - different for sparse and normal

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dohertys
Participant

Lookup null value on DB2 - different for sparse and normal

Post by dohertys »

I've got a job which has tries to lookup on db2 using some nullable fields.

If I use a 'normal' lookup, the lookup correctly finds the matching row on db2 that has null values in the fields...

however, if I use a sparse lookup then it does not find the matching row.

Is there a difference between how nulls are handled for the sparse and normal lookups against db2 ? Any other ideas for what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello Steve,

there is nothing fundamentally different in how nulls work that I'd noticed before. I trust that both the job metadata as well as the database definitions are nullable for all those fields and are identical with each other, but I'm sure you've already double-checked that. Can you make a simple test case with just one (nullable) column as the key and see if there is a difference or perhaps it just affects the outcome with more than one column.
dohertys
Participant

Post by dohertys »

Hi Arnd.

I've set up a test job with just 1 key column and using 1 input record which should match with the one record on the table ( both have null in the field I've set as the key in the datastage lookup).

If I set the lookup type to 'normal' the lookup finds the record. If I set it to 'sparse' the lookup doesn't find the record.

Both the input and the reference links have the metadata set to allow nulls in that column.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Steve - that sounds like a reproduceable test case for IBM support. Do you have an Oracle instance floating around to test on; I wonder if it is DB2 specific or sparse-lookup specific.
dohertys
Participant

Post by dohertys »

I'll try and get it raised with IBM then.
I've not got easy access to another database yet, but I'll give that a go when I can.

Thank Arnd.