Metadata repository

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Pathy
Participant

Metadata repository

Post by Pathy »

Hi Guys,

I was actually trying to install IBM Websphere datastage server version 8.1. My consideration is i need to use the existing DB2 server for metadata repository which was actually present in another server apart from my datastage server.

To do so i thought of installing the Information server package without selecting the Metadata repository option. So after that could anyone please tell me what should i want to do to get them connected. Thanks a lot in advance.

-Pathy
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Refer to your Install and Upgrade guide. You need to run a SQL script against your existing database to make sure the XMETA schema is created and to give the required login access to that database - you can then run through the install script and choose the path that lets you use an existing DB database for the repository.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

If you are doing a heavy amount of development, you will see better performance in the Designer and other clients if the DB2 repository is co-resident with the core of Information Server. It will work fine, but you will notice the difference....

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
Pathy
Participant

Architecture

Post by Pathy »

Hi vmcburney and eostic,

Thanks for your reply and please help me also in this below stuff.

My requirement is :
1. Development of jobs is very low.
2. Number of client access is not more than 5.
3. Only thing is the data going to be processed. Its going to be high. In this case i have two options to select
1. Keeping the metadata repository in the same server where the source and target(DW) is going to reside.
2. Else keeping the metadata repository along with my datastage server and the source and target in another server.

It would be more helpfull if you people help me in this regard. Thanks a lot in advance.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Separate the issues and make independent decisions on these. Your performance at runtime is probably going to be a huge factor in your success. Do your research on the source and target access separate from your research on the repository.

The repository has nothing to do with the source/target, or the location of datastage --- preferably, it is co-resident with the WebSphere Application Server that is central to your Information Server Domain (it's possible that this is also where you installed DataStage, but is not mandatory). The satisfaction of your developers is what will be impacted there...if they have horrible response time just opening up Jobs, then the development environment will suffer.... it depends on many factors, but it's been observed that the best design performance occurs when the WAS Server and the metadata repository are co-resident. The DB2 for Info Server comes in-the-box, so it usually shouldn't be an issue.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
Pathy
Participant

Thanks

Post by Pathy »

Thanks a lot eostic. .