Netezza Stage in Server Edition Jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shareeman
Charter Member
Charter Member

Netezza Stage in Server Edition Jobs

Post by shareeman »

Hi Guys,
Can the Netezza write stage only be used in Enterprise Edition jobs (parallel)?

Is there some way it can be used in server edition (server) jobs?
(Trying to avoid paying for the EE upgrade if possible)

In the server edition, the Netezza stage is read-only and i cannot see the advanced tab in it's properties either.

The Netezza Enterprise stage connectivity guide suggests that the execution mode option in the advanced tab of the stage properties can be switched between parallel and sequential mode.

Does this statement refer to node allocation within parallel jobs?

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Never used it but I'm pretty sure there's a Netezza stage for the Server product. It would be one of the optional plug-ins, though, one you would have to have chosen to install when the server was setup but you can go back and add it at any point.

Any 'Enterprise' stage is only valid in a Parallel job, AFAIK.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
shareeman
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by shareeman »

Hi Craig
Thanks for the reply. There is no option for the Netezza stage as such that crops up during the installation (or for that matter any other optional plugin). Is there some way to check if this is indeed an option and activate the stage, perhaps via the config file.
The default installation on the server completes successfully and i can see all of the stages on the pallete but the Netezza stage (along with some others like surrogate key, peek, slowly changing dimension etc) are displayed as read-only.
Apologies if you've already explained how to expedite the above request in your reply. Your premium member status has deprived us mere mortals from that info which really matters.

Many Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

shareeman wrote:Your premium member status has deprived us mere mortals from that info which really matters.
Err... ok. As Ray would note, that at least is easily rectified. :?

Like I said, never used it so guessed as to the availability of it. If it's not there, it's not there. Time to check with your official support provider, see what the options for Netezza are for Server and then let us know what you find out.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You should be able to use ODBC stage to communicate with Netezza.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I almost added 'other than ODBC'. One of the few posts I found here that mention the stage said that ODBC "didn't work" with Netezza but went into zero details, so not sure how valid the comment is. We shall see.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Moderator: please move to server forum
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

It's not much help to you right now but IBM plans to release a Netezza connector to supercede the existing Netezza enterprise stage and to make all Connectors available to Server jobs. Don't know when but considering that the Oracle Connector isn't out yet I would say it is taking them longer than expected to get the connectors working for parallel jobs much less server jobs.
Aruna Gutti
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Aruna Gutti »

Yes. ODBC stage should work in place of Netezza plug-in. Did you finished installing Netezza drivers and configuring odbc.ini file ?

I never played with a server job but on parallel jobs ODBC is working fine for Netezza after some initial hiccups.

Aruna.
shareeman
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by shareeman »

Hi Guys
Thanks for the comments. We did end up using the ODBC stage to load Netezza tables (for Server license).
Don't understand why IBM cannot make the stage available when you could access it anyway via OBDC but from IBM's perspective, it's a nice little revenue earner for nothing extra really. Cheeky gits!

It pains me to say we have succumbed to the allure of the parallel engine and will be coughing up a bit more cash to get our paws on the Netezza stage (amongst many others)

Thanks for the headsup on the Netezza connector, will keep an eye out for that one.