Representing ds job in xml

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

getsatish_gk
Participant

Representing ds job in xml

Post by getsatish_gk »

I have a requirement where client is very much interested to see the rules applied in our datastag jobs.. for example transformation rules that we built.

I generated job report but, that turned out to be consuming many pages and more complex to view then a actual job.

after that they are keen to see if datastage can produce some sort of xml representation of a job.

All ideal is to see the rules on paper

Any idea would be help full. 8)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Easy-peasy.

Export the job into an XML file.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
getsatish_gk
Participant

Post by getsatish_gk »

Exactly, I Did that.. but.. not so easy to read, sure it is meant for another machine to read. Still Opening a job and looking the rules is easy.. :?
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

This is always an intereseting question.... how to represent DS rules "in text"....... DS and one or two other tools ten years ago crafted the visual metaphor so that such things could be avoided.... it's too hard to represent a complex "flow" in pure text. So....quite often I will hear people say exactly this -- that the visual picture of the job is the best way to initially understand what the job does... (bingo ..that was the whole point anyway!)......

However, I've seen some good textual interpretations....the job report of course, and another alternative is the Metadata Workbench interpretation, especially if you set up a graphical lineage report for one or multiple jobs.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>