Pt of the file containing log of a job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bgs_vb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Pt of the file containing log of a job

Post by bgs_vb »

Hi All,

I want to know if the log we are getting in the DataStage Director for a job can be stored in a file or not.If Yes, where from we can get the file.

Thanks in advance
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Select
File -> Print
bkumar103
Participant

Post by bkumar103 »

Hi,
The log generated in dsjob is stored in the hash file RT_LOGnn.
You can get the details using dsjob -logdetail command. You can write either custom routine for this or directly from the command prompt.

Thanks,
Birendra
bgs_vb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Pt of the file containing log of a job

Post by bgs_vb »

bgs_vb wrote:Hi All,

I want to know if the log we are getting in the DataStage Director for a job can be stored in a file or not.If Yes, where from we can get the file.

Thanks in advance

I want some more information if there is a logpath for each and every project where the log file gets stored for each run of a job present in that project
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Did you search?
bkumar103
Participant

Post by bkumar103 »

it is stored in the project directory(where data stage project is created).
Birendra
bart12872
Participant

Post by bart12872 »

Well, even if you copy the file containing the log, you won't be able to exploit it or read it. It is write in Basic Universe format.

What do you want to do more precisely.

Martin.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Logs are stored in tables in each Project repository named after the internal number associated with their parent job. There's no reason to go directly after those tables, however, as there is a perfectly good API for accessing that data.

From the DataStage side, open up the online help Index tab and go to the 'DSGet' section. There you'll find, amongst other things, the following functions used to get log information:

DSGetLogEntry
DSGetLogSummary
DSGetNewestLogId

If you prefer a scripted approach, there are dsjob equivalents to all of them and the same can be done from your favorite shell. Check the Command Line Interface section of either Designer Guide pdf for all the gory details on dsjob.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In particular note that there is no such thing as a log file
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
bgs_vb
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bgs_vb »

bart12872 wrote:Well, even if you copy the file containing the log, you won't be able to exploit it or read it. It is write in Basic Universe format.

What do you want to do more precisely.

Martin.
I got the log of the job from the unix environment using dsjob -logsum command but it gives the entire log which we can see from the director.But I want the log of last run only.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Use a combination of the other two options, not the 'summary' one.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
sjfearnside
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sjfearnside »

Not sure if this will help =>

I have used an after job subroutine called DSJobReport found in job propertied that report start time, stop time, rows, etc.., There are 3 levels of reports that can be generated from this subroutine. In the input parms you specify the type of report - 1,2,3 and the output directory where the report file is written. Look in the Designer Client Guide PDF, chapter 4 under Before- and After-Job routines for how to use this feature. I do not know if this is available in V7.