install,configure and upgrade, migrate Datastage 7.0 to 8.1

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

suryapkakani
Participant

install,configure and upgrade, migrate Datastage 7.0 to 8.1

Post by suryapkakani »

Can somebody help me in installing,configuring and migrating DataStage 7.0 on windows 2003 server(oracle 9i database) to IBM information server 8.1 Windows 2003 server(Oracle 11g database). I have gone through IBM support Material, but i am not confident about it.
sunny
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Sunny,

in many cases such a migration is almost automatic but the difficulties start if there are problems, these are almost always specific to an implementation. There is little of value to be added in a generic post without knowing more about what you actually need.

The best approach, if possible, is to set up the new V8 system on a different machine and install there, importing a full project export from the original system and ensuring that all jobs compile and then run with identical results to the original system.
suryapkakani
Participant

Post by suryapkakani »

ArndW,

Can we straight away upgrade from 7.0 to 8.1? or first upgrade to 7.5.3 and then to 8.1? To support Oracle 11g database, do we have to use fix pack 1a or anything else?
sunny
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I would export all your DataStage 7.0 components and then do a clean 8.1 install and import into it. Much easier than multiple upgrades. So far 8.1 doesn't have any fix packs though there may be a couple patches.
suryapkakani
Participant

Thanks

Post by suryapkakani »

Thank you Vincent and Arndw for your suggestions and answers
sunny