Implicit/Explicit Sort

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Gopinath
Participant

Implicit/Explicit Sort

Post by Gopinath »

Hi,

I am sorting the input record for Join/CDC stages. But if i give implicit sort iam getting an warning "does not not fulfill sort requirement", but if i use Explicit sort, iam not getting any warnings.

Which way is advisable, implicit or Explicit. What is the advantage/disadvantage among the two.
Can anybody guide me on this.
Thanks.
Gopinath
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Explicit, because you don't get any warnings. Also you have greater control over resources allocated to the sorting process.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Gopinath
Participant

Post by Gopinath »

Thanks Ray.
But lets say, if i have 2-3 join stages and much more stages which requires sorted records then i have to use explicit sort stages and also if i have multiple jobs which have schedhuled at the same time, which has more explicit sort stages then how this resource disk will handle that. Will it support. This is also another concern for us in using explicit sort.
Thanks in advance.
Gopinath
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage will support as many as you have hardware resources to support.

Explicit sort may be even better here, because you have the "don't sort, already sorted" capability that lets you perform sub-sorts.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Gopinath
Participant

Post by Gopinath »

Thanks Ray.
Gopinath