Reading a Sequential File with 'Non-Standard' Delimiters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

PX Jobs can use any delimiter; I think that the issue you are seeing is that you are putting the delimiter character in the wrong location in the sequential file definitions. I'm not at a client now so can't do an exact walkthrough, but if you start with a new sequential file stage (to make sure that other changes you might have made don't affect the outcome) and just change the field delimiter from a pipe to your u-umlaut and post the error message, if any.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Use "od" to see what the delimiter character in the source file really is after the transfer to UNIX, then specify that character. This is the probable cause. To test delimeters, just choose a letter or displayable character in your file and set that as delimiter, your error message should now move to another column.
MarkB
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MarkB »

I'll try this out but, in all honesty, I don't think it is the file. I can view the file with no issue in a DataStage server job. If the delimiter was incorrect it would not view correctly in the Server job either.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Are you using NLS? It is just that I have used odd delimiters without issue in both Server and Parallel jobs, thus I think your error is not something inherent in DataStage but in your definitions or environment somewhere.
MarkB
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MarkB »

We haven't enabled NLS.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Could you try using a letter that is found in the file as a delimiter to see if your error shifts from the first column to the second (or subsequent) columns?
MarkB
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by MarkB »

Yes, it did. I picked a printable character and the error shifted to another column.