Removing Invalid date from the source file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Hope
Participant

Removing Invalid date from the source file

Post by Hope »

I have Invalid dates in my Input file such as
00/00/0000
02/29/2009(Invalid date,not a leap year)

I am using the below logic to convert the date

DateToString(StringToDate(Inputcolum,'%mm/%dd/%yyyy'),'%yyyy%mm%dd')

This logic works fine for Valid dates.where ever there are invalid dates the output is given as **********

The datatype for source and target both are varchar. Can anyone suggest me how I can convert these invalid dates to null.

Thanks
Hope
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Create a reject link on your Sequential File stage that reads the file and specify Date as the data type for this column.

Process the reject stream to generate null to replace this field, and funnel it back into mainstream processing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Hope
Participant

Post by Hope »

When I specify the column datatype as Date.I am getting the following error.I cannot read the file
Data string '02/07/2010' does not match format '%yyyy-%mm-%dd': the value for tag %yyyy has fewer characters than expected.
Kryt0n
Participant

Post by Kryt0n »

Hope wrote:When I specify the column datatype as Date.I am getting the following error.I cannot read the file
Data string '02/07/2010' does not match format '%yyyy-%mm-%dd': the value for tag %yyyy has fewer characters than expected.
Don't specify it as a date in the input file, run it through a validation defaulting any invalid dates to a constant (generally 1111/11/11 or 9999/12/31).

You error above is obvious as to why... your project has defined the date format to be yyyy-mm-dd which you aren't providing in your input. You need to do one of
- have input changed to the date format specified
- change the format in a transformer
- redefine the project expectation...
ColinGorman
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Removing Invalid date from the source file

Post by ColinGorman »

PX:: There is function ""IsValid"" under Type Conversion Functions to check if its valid date or not.

If you can use basic transformer or basic routine......
---- Here Arg1 is your InputColumn.

If Arg1 = Oconv(Iconv(Arg1,"D/MDY[2,2,4]"), "D/MDY[2,2,4]")
Then
x = Arg1[7,4]:Arg1[1,2]:Arg1[4,2]
End
Else
x = @null
End
Ans = x
choudary_sivaji
Participant

Post by choudary_sivaji »

Hi,
use the below function to find valid dates.

If IsValid("DATE",StringToDate(input date column,"%yyyy%mm%dd") )=1 then StringtoDate() Else SetNull()

regards
sivaji