eliminationg the function call 'left_substring'. Use default

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

laknar
Participant

eliminationg the function call 'left_substring'. Use default

Post by laknar »

im reading from sequential file where the amount column starts from position
1-10 and immediately followed by space.

+0000040.00

so im reading as 11 bytes from source and doing left function to take only amount.

when im reading im getting the below message.

Numeric string expected for returned value from function call 'left_substring'. Use default value.
Numeric string expected for returned value from function call 'left_substring'. Use default value.
Regards
LakNar
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Need more information. What is the record schema? Where are you applying the left_substring() function?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
laknar
Participant

Post by laknar »

inputcolumn=+0000089.00

left(abc.inputcolumn,10)
Regards
LakNar
Kryt0n
Participant

Re: eliminationg the function call 'left_substring'. Use def

Post by Kryt0n »

laknar wrote: Numeric string expected for returned value from function call 'left_substring'. Use default value.
Never having used the transformation language I haven't got the answer, but the reason you are getting the warnings is detailed in the help files:

If the input contains a numeric value or string that is not listed in the table, WebSphere DataStage operates as follows:

If a numeric value is unknown, an empty string is returned by default. However, you can set a default string value to be returned by the string lookup table.
If a string has no corresponding value, 0 is returned by default. However, you can set a default numeric value to be returned by the string lookup table.

There was some other detail in the help files about having conversion tables for int/decimal to string... have a read and see if it makes more sense...

But now that it is come to my attention, I may have to look more in to this option...