Windows edition or Unix edition is better?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kishore2456
Participant

Windows edition or Unix edition is better?

Post by kishore2456 »

Hi Datastage experts,

We are in a process of creating a product(not specific to any client) with IIS8.0. Now we are in a dilemma whether to choose windows edition or unix flavour. We are thinking of windows as it will be protable for demos. If we design in Windows edition and later wanted to migrate into Unix edition, are there any precautions need to be taken?
FD
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The question (of which is "better") is irrelevant. Create your product so that it, too, is portable.

The main precaution relates to pathnames (parameterize them) and to calls to operating system functions/commands (rely on MKS Toolkit on Windows, or avoid operating system commands completely).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kishore2456
Participant

Post by kishore2456 »

Hi Ray,

I understood your point about OS scripting(MKS toolkit). But what really I want to know is that are there any incompatabilities between the two versions in view of stages. All stages that works on windows will be able to work on unix or not? I want to know limitations of IIS with respect to operating systems.
FD
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

None.

The way you do some things, particularly administration, may be different, but almost all functionality is available on both operating systems. (OLEDB is not available on UNIX is one of the few small exceptions.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.