Job Monitoring

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Job Monitoring

Post by samsuf2002 »

Is it helpful to turn off the job monitor to increase performance and reduce overhead ?

Thanks in advance
hi sam here
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Marginally. Maybe only negligibly. Depending on what you mean by "performance".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
samsuf2002
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by samsuf2002 »

Performance in case of extracting data from Oracle by running user defined queries. We improved some performance by creating indexes on the source tables and we want to try some more options in different areas to enhance the performance.

So I was wondering if turning off the Job monitor could help.
hi sam here
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I have no idea what you mean by "performance". How would you propose to measure it? (A quick search will tell you of my firmly held belief that rows/sec is an almost toally meaningless metric.)

My previous answer was that of an economist - the performance monitor requires some resources; if it's not running those resources are available for other processes. If nothing else is running, then those other processes can be DataStage processes. Supply and demand.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
miwinter
Participant

Post by miwinter »

Samsuf, you have a partitioned DB..? Extracting in parallel...?
Mark Winter
<i>Nothing appeases a troubled mind more than <b>good</b> music</i>