how to acess internal tables of datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shamail
Participant

how to acess internal tables of datastage

Post by shamail »

Hi All,

I have been working in datastage 7.x and am currently moving into 8. I came to know that the metadata is stored in DB2 in Datastage8. Can you please help me in understanding:

1) How is metadata stored in DS 7.x. Is it in DB2 itself or using any other internal database. If so is there any way to acess them to get details from those tables.
2) In 8 as metadata stored in DB2, how do we connect to this database (database, user id and password details that we need to provide and are they common for every installations).

Thanks in advance for valuable answers....
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard.

You ought to have no need to access these "internal" tables. The metadata are delivered without your intervention, for example via the metadata delivery and metadata analyis services (version 8).

Why do you believe you need to access them?

It's a huge topic.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
shamail
Participant

Post by shamail »

Hey Ray thanks...

I had always wanted to know about the internal processes of Datastage and I know this is the best place to know about them or find out where I can know about them, where experts like you people reside... :) .

Can you please suggest any place where I can find these and if not would be grateful if you can provide answers.

And I need this since I am trying to find out a way of accessing the details outside datastage clients. (Using something like DB2 Control Center and so)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

shamail wrote:And I need this since I am trying to find out a way of accessing the details outside datastage clients.
What "details" would that be?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
shamail
Participant

Post by shamail »

I am not sure exactly what details those would be and as I said it's purely for knowledge purpose of something I have been wanting to know. Hence whoever knows how the metadata are stored and how they can be acessed in both versions of datastage kindly reply.

Thanks,
- Shamail
Regards,
- SAR
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In version 8 there are two metadata repositories; the common repository (usually known as XMETA) and a local repository in each project. The common repository is open; that is, you can use an appropriate tool (for example DB2 Control Center if your XMETA database is DB2) to view the definitions for the 874 tables contained in it. As far as the local repository is concerned, a good start point for your researches would be this post which describes the local repository's tables and some of its configuration files.
As I said, it's a huge topic.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.