Remote DB2 Configuration Server & Parallel

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Remote DB2 Configuration Server & Parallel

Post by Mike »

ETL Server: Running DataStage 8.0.1 on AIX 4.3 with DB2 Connect Client
Database Server: Running DB2 9.1 on AIX 4.3

I have exising DataStage server jobs that utilize DB2/UDB API stage and DB2 Bulk Load Stage.

Our DBA team has recently migrated to a DPF configuration on the Database server. I've heard rumblings about existing server jobs running slower with the DPF change. Are there any DB2 client or server settings that should be adjusted in light of the DPF change?

We will be starting some new application development using parallel jobs. We'd like to use the DB2 Enterprise stage. Can the DB2 connect client be configured to support the DB2 API stage and DB2 enterprise stage simultaneously (same DB2 instance)? The IBM consultant that did our installation implied that it wasn't possible.

I'm just starting a detailed review of the DB2 Connectivity PDF before launching into some testing.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Implied, eh? Seek more information from the IBM consultant. Why does s/he believe that?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I think the enterprise stage and the API/OCI stage can both use the same DB2 client software to connect - but Enterprise also needs to know about the server partitioning. So there are some additional bind/grant scripts - there is an entire document about remote DB2 config for parallel jobs.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Aha! Google search found it, Configure DB2 remote connectivity with WebSphere DataStage Enterprise Edition. No reason why you can't use enterprise and server/OCI stages at the same time and even in one job.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Thanks much for the link Vincent. This has much more detail than the DB2 connectivity guide PDF. With the Ascential references, this was most likely created/written with the 7.5 release in mind.

For 7.5, the PX engine needs to be installed on each DB2 node.

AT IOD, I talked to an IBM engineer that said the PX engine was not required on a DB2 node in version 8.1.

Does anyone know if version 8.0.1 requires the PX engine on each DB2 node?

Mike
stefanfrost1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by stefanfrost1 »

On 7.5 the PX engine is not required to be installed on each db2 node, however the PX runtime library must be accessable on each node.
-------------------------------------
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/bi-aj
my blog on delivering business intelligence using agile principles
devanars
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Remote DB2 Configuration Server & Parallel

Post by devanars »

Try with this to connect Enterprice db2 stage

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/d ... #dseestep1

Raj
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Thanks. That's another copy of the same document that Vincent pointed me to.

The response that I got from IBM's frontline support is "As far as I know, the set up to connect to a remote DB2 has not changed since v7 product."

I'm going to assume that I need to "make the PX runtime library accessable on each node" as Stefan suggested.

Stefan,
Do you know if I can make that happen in any manner short of running the installer and installing the engine layer? Perhaps by simply copying the PX runtime library from the ETL server?

Thanks,
Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It should be enough just to mount the PXEngine directory on the remote machines (and setting certain environment variables such as APT_ORCHHOME and PXHOME on those machines).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
stefanfrost1
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by stefanfrost1 »

Stefan,
Do you know if I can make that happen in any manner short of running the installer and installing the engine layer? Perhaps by simply copying the PX runtime library from the ETL server?
As Ray described....
-------------------------------------
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/bi-aj
my blog on delivering business intelligence using agile principles