Regarding the Buildop stage in PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

heena
Participant

Regarding the Buildop stage in PX

Post by heena »

Hi

After reading the certain PDF's ,I do have created a small buildop stage performing a staright forward activity ie simply transfering data,,but now I want to use them for complex jobs also.
So what I want to know is that how we can use Macros in buildops and also it would be better if I could get more detail on logic writing section.

Thanks
Heena
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

By 'macros', I assume you are talking about C macros (using #define)? yes, these work just fine.

You can also create functions to handle complex transformations or business rules that are not native to DataStage. For example, we have a function for converting a Hogan date to a standard date in the format yyyy-mm-dd (Hogan is a mainframe banking system and uses a date format similar to, but NOT the same as, a Julian date).

We use buildops extensively at our site. In fact, we use them exclusively rather than using transformers. They can handle anything you can throw at them.

Brad.
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Folks ought to be made aware that Brad's site was a Torrent customer (and therefore did everything with scripts and build operators) before they "came on board" when Ascential acquired Torrent Systems.

That is, developers at Brad's site have considerable expertise in creating their own (build) operators.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.