Analysing the metadatables (Repository tables)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Puli
Participant

Analysing the metadatables (Repository tables)

Post by Puli »

Hi All,

I have just got the DS Version 8 installation. I have heard from many that, in DS Version 8, the repository(metadata) is stored in DB tables, such as DB2. I want to know whether these tables are accessible to the user and if accessible how to get that information from those tables

Please give your valuable thoughts
Thanks
Puli
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Of course they are. For DB2 for example you can use DB2 Control Center.

There are 847 tables in a newly-installed instance of the common repository.

There is no documentation in the public domain. You're on your own. But it is fully "open".
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

It is "open". I had no problems reverse engineering a model into ERwin.

However, the key point as mentioned by Ray is "No documentation in the public domain".

Having no defined relationships, lengthy table and column names, generic column data types, and so forth, it is very incomprehensible. It would take considerable effort to get anything useful out of it.

I think it would be better to lobby IBM for an open API to the repository, so that tools other than Metadata Workbench could be used to access the metadata.

Mike
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Agree with Mike. It can be done......I've gone thru it to pull Business Terms in order to build an RSS Service for new term notification....but it wasn't pretty. Do it if you have time, and at the complete (your own) risk of it entirely changing and your solution breaking........ a formal consistent model overlay or API would be desirable.....

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
Puli
Participant

Post by Puli »

Hi All,

Thanks for all your inputs. My intension here is to do an analysis on tracking the errors/warnings of a particular job execuation. This analysis should be done using the data related to the job run , which is stored in the internal tables(metadata tables). So any information on how to access these tables from client components would be helpful to me.

Thanks in advance
Jose