PXEngine metadata search - need help!!

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dav_mcnair
Premium Member
Premium Member

PXEngine metadata search - need help!!

Post by dav_mcnair »

I have an issue where I need to search all jobs that use a specific table name and database. I am currently dumping out the dsx file and manually searching through using the grep command. I would like the ability to load the dsx file into a database table but have not had much luck. Found a tool built by anotheritco.com but it only supports server jobs and not parallel. I have also contacted IBM and they stated that manually searching is the only option. Does anyone have any ideas that could help me out???

Thanks in advance for your response..
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I built a stripped down version of what Chuck put together, something that simply searches through a dsx file for a string and reports both the individual occurances of that string and a summary of the object names that string was found in. It doesn't need to know anything about 'server' versus 'parallel' as it is not attempting to identify stage types, just literally looking through the file much like your grep is doing, but smarter as it keeps track of the job boundaries as it passes over them. :wink:

Shouldn't be too hard for you to build something like that as well.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Does it have to search a DSX file? Would it be OK to search the Repository database instead? If so there are examples here that query the DS_JOBOBJECTS table in various ways, and from which you could probably derive an appropriate query.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Have a look at the "Generate Job Report" function - it exports a job to an XML format and then runs an XML schema against it to format it for a browser. You can run that same formatting for an entire project export file and then customise it to only show table names and column names across all jobs.