Mainframe Tapes to Unix

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

RaviReena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Mainframe Tapes to Unix

Post by RaviReena »

I am using Datastage 8.0.1 , Is there a way to connect and read a data on Mnainframe tapes and move to Unix box?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Rao V
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Probably not in the manner that you're thinking.

How about sharing some more requirements? Frequency, size? Batch window?

If this were more than a one time shot and the size was reasonable, I'd probably do something like this...
1) Create some mainframe JCL to ftp the file to your unix server.
2) Put that JCL into your mainframe scheduling software as a "demand" job with a dataset trigger.
3) When you want the file, send a trigger file to the mainframe.

Mike
RaviReena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Reading Data from Mainframe tapes and move to Unix

Post by RaviReena »

We want to move the data as one time effort from mainframe tapes to unix flat files.

we have around 3000 mainframe tapes containing comp fields and occurs depending on(variable length records).

I want to know is there a way to do that using Datastage?
Rao V
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Access the Mainframe tape drives directly from your UNIX server? I sincerely doubt that can be done with any tool but don't know for certain. I would assume you'll need to get them dumped to files by the MF folks and then process them in DataStage once they're moved to your UNIX server.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

3000 tapes in a one-time shot...

I'd borrow/rent a tape drive for my unix box... make sure it can read your mainframe tapes... then just copy them from tape to disk. You can then do normal DataStage jobs using the CFF stage to read and transform them.

Mike
RaviReena
Premium Member
Premium Member

Reading Data from Mainframe tapes and move to Unix

Post by RaviReena »

Not in one shot all 3000 tapes, but for one time we want to move.I appreciate your thoughts and i will go with reading the tapes and move it to disk and then handle with CFF stage.

thank you everyone.
Rao V
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If you can get a tape drive on the DataStage server that reads them, I'd wager you can open the device as a fixed-width Sequential file and read them directly.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You could, but you might need to allow for blocking factor. Probably the Complex Flat File stage can manage this.

At worst you could write a DataStage BASIC routine and use its low level READT statement.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.