Unable to connect to a project

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Unable to connect to a project

Post by bcarlson »

For the second time in as many days, I have been asked to create a new project that developers thought already existed. I attempt to the create the project and sure enough, the project already exists. The problem is that it does not show up in a project list when connecting, you cannot find it with dsjob -lprojects, and it doesn't even show up in Administrator. The only place it seemingly "exists" is in the Projects directory on Unix. I can see the directory, but outside of that the project is inaccessible. When I try to connect in Manager, I get the following error message:
Failed to connect to host: edwpapp2.wellsfargo.com, project: edw_plp_lpa
(Invalid account name supplied (39129))
I found one other topic that has this same error message (back from 2005) that mentions checking permissions. As near as I can tell, all userid/group permissions are set correctly.

Any idea what is going on?

Brad.
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The repository is corrupted and needs to be "fixed". From a recent post on a similar issue:
ray.wurlod wrote:Search also for VERIFY.SQL command, and UV.ACCOUNT table.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I guess one question would be - do you want to attempt to recover the existing project, or clear it so that it can be recreated again, empty?
-craig

attu
Participant

Post by attu »

do you see your project after executing this command from UV.

Code: Select all

SELECT @ID FMT '20L',PATH FMT '56L' FROM UV.ACCOUNT ;
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Unfortunately, I am not able to check these now. We were able to validate through other means that the projects were not in use, so I deleted the directories and rebuilt the projects. That worked fine.

However, since I have now run into this twice in 2 days, odds are 'good' that I'll run into it again. I'll make sure I run these tests.

Chulett, you mentioned looking for VERIFY.SQL and ACCOUNT.UV. What are they for? Do I need to see if they are there, have certain permissions or what? doyou have the link from Ray's topic?

Like I said, if I run into this again, I'll post results from the tests you guys mentioned.

Thanks, all!

Brad
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Those commands are used to validate the control records in the repository for the project. I posted his complete suggestion from the post I found, which basically was to search for those terms to find the discussions we've already had on this subject. There are some caveats to using them that you'll find out there, from what I recall, and their usage can depend on if you are trying to recover a problem project or trying to make it go away. :wink:

You need to see if you can determine how the projects are being deleted from the repository. It would seem like a "people" thing and something you'd need to do deliberately but I have no idea how you'd track down the culprit.
-craig