Can a mail be generated reporting that the server is down?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsuser7
Participant

Can a mail be generated reporting that the server is down?

Post by dsuser7 »

Hi,

In case the DataStage server goes down in the middle of the process (i.e, the jobs/sequences have been triggered for some time), can a mail be generated reporting that the server is down?

I think a health check can be done before triggering the jobs and reporting if the DataStage server is down- please advice on this also.

Any help/suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thanks,
DSUser7
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

There are numerous ways to do this. How about an hourly "AT" scheduled batch script that starts a small DS job and then checks the error code / status. If the status is invalid then send a mail.
dsuser7
Participant

Post by dsuser7 »

ArndW wrote:There are numerous ways to do this. How about an hourly "AT" scheduled batch script that starts a small DS job and then checks the error code / status. If the status is invalid then send a mail. ...

Forgive my ignorance, but can you please explain me, what an hourly "AT" scheduled batch script is? How does it work? How to check the error code/status? I'm interested to know more, can you please explain these in detail?
Please mail me at ds.user7@yahoo.com, if your response is lengthy, I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to view your response as it would be premium content...please.

Thanks in advance.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

dsuser7 wrote:Please mail me at ds.user7@yahoo.com, if your response is lengthy
Sorry, but that's not how things work here.
Last edited by chulett on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

dsuser7, you are on Windows, so the scheduling tool is usually "AT", you can read up on that in the documentation.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The best command to issue to determine whether the DataStage server is running is shrdump - build that into the BAT file you schedule from AT.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.