How to start DS JOBS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sryarraguntla
Participant

How to start DS JOBS

Post by sryarraguntla »

Hi ,

We have a need to start the DS jobs once other process in windows server finishes. we cansend a small trigger file to the DS server and have a DS job waiting to receive that file . when the file is received the DS job knows it can begin. But my compnay standards are required to use SFTP. For that they need to install SFTP client server on the machines. Apart from this option( because windows machine cannot send a trigger file on DS server once their process finishes). Is there any alternative option or how can we start ds jobs once the other process on windows system finishes.

Please put some suggestions on this..
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

It is much simpler to call the dsjob.exe program and start the job directly.
sryarraguntla
Participant

Post by sryarraguntla »

Thanks ArndW for your reply,

Can you please elaborate your idea how can we do this.. please dont mind
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

you can install dsrun.exe on any machine which can "see" (in TCPIP terms) the DS server. You can check up the syntax for dsrun.exe in the documentation, but using the program you can start a job on the DS server; so if you write a script or .BAT program in Windows it can automatically start a remote job.
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

Along with the option described, there are few more options based on the features you have.

1. If you use an external scheduler which can communicate with any server in your company.
2. If windows' process is database related or if they have access to your database, you can request them to put a record in a FLAG table which you will be pinging from DS.
Kandy

Post by sryarraguntla »

Thanks for you replys.

By any chance can i use FTP stage option?

Does FTP stage be used to start the ds process by connecting to the remote windows server ? I am not clear on that whether iam putting this right way or not .. please let me know
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I don't think that FTP can be used in the way that you think.

There are 2 approaches to this - either you have a job running that waits for an event to happen and then starts processing, or you use dsjob.exe on the remote machine where the event happens to start the processing on the DS server. Both approaches work but which one you use depends upon factors that you haven't explained here, so all that can be done is to propose various methods.
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

FTP stage can't be used for that purpose. Name FTP (File Transfer protocol) is only for transferring files from one place/server to another place/server.
Kandy