Sequencer not in MVS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rupeshg
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequencer not in MVS

Post by rupeshg »

Hi,

As MVS version of DS doesnot have a sequencer, i.e; we cannot have a sequencer job created, if thats the case how do we take care of sequence of jobs running and how is the control information and flow is managed?

Can I have a master JCL created which invokes another unit JCLs (unit jobs) in sequence? If yes than in that case it only takes care of invoking and not conditional invoking as its taken care in PX or Server edition.

Little input would be appreciated?

Regards,
Rupesh
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

Not sure about MVS, so perhaps you can wait till a better suggestion. But you should be able to call batch jobs to trigger execute the conditional check.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
dls
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dls »

If you're using DS/390 (or whatever it's called now), then you're in a mainframe shop that undoubtedly has 'production acceptance' standards related to JCL and batch job scheduling.

Once you've uploaded the generated JCL to the mainframe, you can modify it to meet the shop's standards.

You may want to talk with some of the non-DataStage application developers, and understand what steps they go through to promote jobs (to Production) and schedule them in the 'batch window'.
bmadhav
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by bmadhav »

U will need to use some kind of mainframe scheduler, like IBM's TWS (Tivoli Work scheduler), which will handle the scheduling for u. In the scheduler u can set up multiple jobs and set up dependancies betn these jobs (JCLs).
kris007
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kris007 »

bmadhav wrote:U will need to use some kind of mainframe scheduler, like IBM's TWS (Tivoli Work scheduler), which will handle the scheduling for u. In the scheduler u can set up multiple jobs and set up dependancies betn these jobs (JCLs).
Or you can ask one of your mainframe developers to set up PROCS :D which takes care of sequencing.
rupeshg
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequencer not in MVS

Post by rupeshg »

Hi All,

Thanks for your Inputs.

If IBM's Scheduler tool takes care of dependencies and conditional flow of jobs than I am happy.

However I am doubtful whether writing PROCS would take care of conditional flow.

Could someone throw more clarity on this.

Regards,
Rupesh
rupeshg
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rupeshg »

Hi

There are many ways one could sequence the mainframe jobs.

1. Have a common JCL for all jobs and run them in sequence in different steps.
2. If you want few jobs to run parallel that are independent of each other, can be achieved by using mainframe job scheduler like Control-M or TWS.

Thanks for you replies.

Regards
Rupesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

bmadhav wrote:U will need to use some kind of mainframe scheduler, like IBM's TWS (Tivoli Work scheduler), which will handle the scheduling for u. In the scheduler u can set up multiple jobs and set up dependancies betn these jobs (JCLs).
U is one of our posters, and I know for a fact that he is not currently working on mainframe jobs.

The second person personal pronoun in both its nominative and accusative (objective) forms is spelled "you" in English, not "u". DSXchange is not a mobile telephony device; please use a professional standard of written English, not least because it assist those for whom English is not their first language.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.