high availability for IIS 8.x?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

divine
Premium Member
Premium Member

high availability for IIS 8.x?

Post by divine »

Hi,

Our current Disaster Recovery strategy under our 7.5.2 environment is to failover to our QA server if there is a production server outage. As it can be imagined, this is a totally manual process. I am hoping there is a more automated method from IBM on DS 8.

Kindly suggest if anything can be done on high availability of the IIS Server in failsafe mechanism.

Regards,
divine
Nagaraj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nagaraj »

Yes it is there.....! it can shift to the failove node...if there is something wrong with the current node.
divine
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by divine »

Hi Nagraj,

Thanks a lot for the early response. Can you please little elaborate your thought.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Divine
With Regards
Biswajit
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well... Disaster Recovery is different from High Availability. It's one thing to rebuild / transfer everything from one server to another (typically physically separated) to failing specific applications from one node of a cluster to another.

You should be able to search for "high availability" as I remember it being discussed here in the past. Also, could you explain your hardware setup and O/S?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
divine
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by divine »

Hi Chulett,

As suggested by you I tried to search for the"High Availability of IIS Server" , but couldn't find much about it.

We are looking for the High Availability of the IIS 8.0.1 Server as we are trying to upgrade the ETL Implementation from 7.0 to 8.0.1. Can you please tell me the links or some documents where I can look into it.

Thanks in advance..

Regards,
Divine
With Regards
Biswajit
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Divine,

I suggest engaging the vendor to discuss the specifics of your requirements for "High Availability". I'm not aware of any documents or links, but if there are any, they'll likely be very general/generic in nature.

The vendor can review your specific hardware/software configuration and provide guidance.

"Higher Availability" generally equals "Higher Cost"....

Mike
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

divine wrote:As suggested by you I tried to search for the"High Availability of IIS Server" , but couldn't find much about it.
There were 20+ posts on the subject, from what I recall. If you went through that, then you went through everything there is to be had here on the subject.

As noted, the proper approach would be to "engage your vendor" with hat (and wallet) in hand.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There were presentations on high availability at the most recent two Information on Demand conferences, so one must assume that IBM does have some offering in this area.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Mike,
If a Grid Computing infrastructure is done right, it usually gives you the low cost and high availability. Not "Higher Cost".
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

True, but Grid isn't generally what people are looking for when they ask about "High Availability". Or at least not in my experience.
-craig

Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

You're right. I really liked the blade server solution that I saw at IOD.

I've been waiting for an "ETL Appliance" ever since the "Data Warehouse Appliance" became popular.

Unfortunately, most large organizations still haven't caught on... they still think they need to spend millions on a big SMP box. It's in that context that I was suggesting "Higher Cost".

Mike
divine
Premium Member
Premium Member

Brainstorming for High Availability with Vendor?

Post by divine »

Hi All,

Can somebody suggest what kind of brainstorming is required with Vendor for High-Availability of the DS Server?

What are the main points to be looked on for the High Availability of DS Server? How the High-Availability is different from the DR(Disaster Recovery)?

As we will be scedule a meeting with Vendor, What are the specefic areas need to be focused?

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Divine
With Regards
Biswajit
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Mike wrote:You're right. I really liked the blade server solution that I saw at IOD.

I've been waiting for an "ETL Appliance" ever since the "Data Warehouse Appliance" became popular.

Unfortunately, most large organizations still haven't caught on... they still think they need to spend millions on a big SMP box. It's in that context that I was suggesting "Higher Cost".

Mike
There IS the Information Server blade pack. That's as close to a preconfigured ETL appliance as you're ever likely to get.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
divine
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by divine »

Hi Ray,

Thanks a lot for the quick response. How can I know more about the "Information Server Blade Pack". How it is different to the Standard Infpormation Server Pack?

Thaks in advance.

Regards,
Divine
With Regards
Biswajit
divine
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by divine »

Hi Ray,

Thanks a lot for the quick response. How can I know more about the "Information Server Blade Pack". How it is different to the Standard Information Server Pack?

Thaks in advance.

Regards,
Divine
With Regards
Biswajit