Invoking a COBOL component?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Nicole
Premium Member
Premium Member

Invoking a COBOL component?

Post by Nicole »

Is it possible to invoke a COBOL component from DataStage, pass data to it as input and get return data back? I guess importing the copybook would be one of the first steps, but what stage would be used? Am I posting this to the wrong forum? If so, sorry, could someone direct me to which forum I should be posting to?

Thanks in advance!
vinay_renu2001
Participant

Post by vinay_renu2001 »

Nicole,

It is possible to read the main frame data from DataStage. Use Complex Flat file stage. For further information about Complex Flat file stage, Please go through the DataStage documentation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Vinay
vinay_renu2001
Participant

Post by vinay_renu2001 »

Nicole,

It is possible to read the main frame data from DataStage. Use Complex Flat file stage. For further information about Complex Flat file stage, Please go through the DataStage documentation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
Vinay
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Hi Nicole,

What exactly does "invoke a COBOL component from DataStage" mean?

Vinay has assumed that you have a COBOL file that you wish to read. If that is what you need to do, then his advise is right on.

From the way you phrased your question, it sounds like you want to execute a COBOL program/subprogram. Can you clarify what you want to do?

Mike
Nicole
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nicole »

Hi Mike...I had given up on this one..almost..I think I may need a different version of DataStage..

But yes, I do mean execute a COBOL program, not just reading a COBOL file. Is this possible in DataStage? Do you need the MVS version? Or some other?

Thank you,

Nicole

Mike wrote:Hi Nicole,

What exactly does "invoke a COBOL component from DataStage" mean?

Vinay has assumed that you have a COBOL file that you wish to read. If that is what you need to do, then his advise is right on.

From the way you phrased your question, it sounds like you want to execute a COBOL program/subprogram. Can you clarify what you want to do?

Mike
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

If not impossible, it would almost certainly be impractical.

Is the COBOL program on a mainframe?

You've indicated that you're on a windows server.

Does the COBOL program operate as a transformation (i.e. does it take a single row as input and produce output from that)? Or does it take a file (set of records) as input?

Most likely, it would be easiest to reverse engineer the COBOL logic, and build the equivalent functionality within DataStage.

Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This could be anything, even MicroFocus COBOL on Windows. We need to await Nicole's confirmation.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.