ODBC Column name error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

harshada
Premium Member
Premium Member

ODBC Column name error

Post by harshada »

Hi,

I am selecting a column called "Match-type" using ODBC stage from progress database.

I get [OpenLink][ODBC][Progress Server]Syntax error (7587).

is the "-" hyphen causing problem?

I read "Server and Parallel Jobs
Column names can be any length. They must begin with an alphabetic
character or $ and contain alphanumeric, underscore, period, and $
characters"

Also its mentioned in ODBC guide.

Names are translated exactly except when the external data source column name contains a character that DataStage does not support. In that case, two underscored characters replace the unsupported character.

Should it be converted to two underscore character?

But this is not happening currently.
Is it somthing to do with the NLS setting ?

The NLS setting for project is ISO8859-1

Can anyone guide me?

Thanks
Harshada
harshada
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by harshada »

I dint mention, if i select any other column its not giving error, that is why I thought its sumthing to do with the column name and the "-" in it

Thanks,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The ODBC protocol provides for identifier names that begin with an alphabetic character and contain only alphabetic, numeric or underscore characters and are not more than 18 characters long. Some ODBC drivers allow longer names, but none (of which I am aware) allows you to violate the other identifier name rules. I believe you are right in your supposition about the "-" character. (System table names are identified with a "$" character, but this is not part of the actual table name.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.