NLS warnings

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sigma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sigma »

I also did not understand why it refers to UTF-8 when I do not refer that at all at project level or job level
sigma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sigma »

Ok I resolved it but I woud still not mind an explanation on how it really worked

After spending a long time going over post in this forum and looking aimlessly at my warning message, I decided to make the description column to be NVARCHAR at sequential file and the target BW field meta data to be NVARCHAR

So If you open my transformer the description field which had the pound character is of type Nvarchar on both sides

I ran the job and it eliminated my warning and it also looks good in BW as I verified it in the staging area in BW,

It was more by accident that I solved this but I wanted to understand why it resolved it

Any takers to please explain why what I did solved my problem
sigma
Premium Member
Premium Member

What is Nvarchar

Post by sigma »

I would really like some in understanding how the internal character conversions happen

In my px job the default nls map is converted to an internal represenatation in px job which is uTF-16 (is this correct) and then it will convert back to what is the target character map again project default if nothing is set explicitly

Why did setting a uk sales description field of type nvarchar eliminiate the warning.

Is it true that we always define the meta data for foriegn data to be Nvarchar

and it really has nothing to do with nls character map

I am really lost in getting an explanation for the solution ofmy problem