How to view the XML Output

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bikan
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to view the XML Output

Post by bikan »

Hi All,

I am working in DS 7.5.1. and Using the XML output stage.I have source file is sequencer file and I want to output is XML file.My job is running very well and There is not any error in log file.But i m not able to see the records in XML file.
Could any one guide me how to view the XML Output?

Thanks
Bikan
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

First off, there's no 'View Data' option in the stage. What do you mean when you say that you are "not able to see the records" in the XML file? Is it empty? :?

Unless you are outputting 'formated' XML then it will be one long record, essentially. You'll need to transfer it over to your PC and use an XML specific tool to view it properly, ideally one that can 'pretty print' it so it's easier for peoples to read.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by John Smith »

Your XML file is created in your unix filesystem,so that's probably where you should start. To view XML in the vi editor is not easy so best way to do that is ftp the file to your PC and use one of the XML tools to view it.
Btw an XML file is no different to other files as it's just text.
bikan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bikan »

chulett wrote:First off, there's no 'View Data' option in the stage. What do you mean when you say that you are "not able to see the records" in the XML file? Is it empty? :?

Unless you are outputting 'formated' XML then it will be one long record, essentially. You'll need to transfer it over to your PC and use an XML specific tool to view it properly, ideally one that can 'pretty print' it so it's easier for peoples to read.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi chulett,

I have done as per your Suggestion.But I am only able to see the size (1K) of file in unix.File is created but it's empty.

Thanks
Bikan
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ok... a 1K file isn't an empty file, what exactly is in it? If records aren't passing through the XML Output stage, then that usually means a problem with the XPath Expressions you are using there. Did you generate them from an xsd or were they manually created? Are there any messages in the log from that stage after the job completes?
-craig

bikan
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bikan »

chulett wrote:Ok... a 1K file isn't an empty file, what exactly is in it? If records aren't passing through the XML Output stage, then that usually means a problem with the XPath Expressions you are using there. Did you generate them from an xsd or were they manually created? Are there any messages in the log from that stage after the job completes?
Hi Chulett

Thank you for help again.Actually i am new to XML ouput.
I am using a sequential file as a source and transforming that data into xml file.In the XML output in option setting i am giving the unix path.Some time file gets generated and some time it won't.When XML file is cretaing in unix environment it has a length of 1k and using ftp i transferred that file into local system and not able to see any record.

Please let me know your answer on the same.

Thanks
Bikan
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Answer the metadata / XPath Expression question, please.
-craig