How do I overriding sequence and parallel job parameters?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

How do I overriding sequence and parallel job parameters?

Post by tbtcust »

Hi everyone.

I have a few parallel job jobs that have parameters. Depending on the environment I am running in, i.e., development, QA, or Production, I'll need to change the job parameters. These jobs are spread across three child sequence. I execute the three child sequence via a parent sequence.

Is it possible to pass parameters from the parent sequence, to the child sequence, to the job?

Thanks in advance for any help.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Of course. You need to ensure that each Sequence has defined in them all of the parameters that each Job Activity they will be running, needs.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No clue as I don't have access to the 8.x version, someone else is going to have to answer that one.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

That would be yes for parameters in parameter sets as well. Add the parameter set to the parent job sequence. You'd override individual parameter values within the set at the parent level.

Mike
tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

Thanks Mike.

in Value Expression my only option in the drop down is "[As pre-defined]". Your thoughts. Thanks.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

In the job activity for the child job, insert the parameter set name (you can use the insert parameter button). When you run the parent job sequence (e.g. from Director or Designer), you will get the expanded list of all of the parameters in the parameter set with a chance to overide any of them.

In other words, overrides are provided at run time. At design time, you only get a choice of pre-defined or defined value sets.

Mike
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

To add a bit... if you have a pre-determined set of overrides that you want to use for a parameter set, you could create a value set. At design time, you can specify which value set the job should use.

Mike
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

That is a bug for which there was a client patch. A search here should turn up something.

Mike
tbtcust
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tbtcust »

Thanks Mike. I found it on a link

viewtopic.php?t=121570&highlight=client+patch

The patch is e118296.