Invoking a PROCESS CHAIN in SAP BW

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sigma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Invoking a PROCESS CHAIN in SAP BW

Post by sigma »

We would like to invoke a PROCESS CHAIN in BW which would in turn run BW PULL infopackages to invoke DATASTAGE jobs to load data to BW.

First Problem

It seems we cannot invoke a process chain without associating it with a INFOPACKAGE. In order to invoke a process chain we have defined a dummy INFOPACKAGE and we invoke it via the PUSH methodology. The process chain check box is checked with the approriate process chain name to be kicked off.

If there is a way to invoke a process chain without invoking a INFOPACKAGE we would like to know how to do it. Our BW administrator says it does not make sense to be forced by datastage to choose an infopackage to run when invoking a process chain.

Second Problem

It seems the INFOPACKAGE that is invoked when calling a process chain has to be WITHIN the PROCESS chain. We have tried to keep the push job as the first part of the chain and the last part of the chain but the job never seems to run. In BW it gives an ERROR saying "There is NO pull job name to run it".

It almost seems contradictory when dealing with INFOPACKAGE AND PROCESS CHAINS in that it wants by definition a infopackage when invoking a PROCESS CHAIN. That means it seems like it wants a PUSH infopackage just to kickoff the process chain but then it the process chain is designed to pull the job and is not able to as it is a push job.

Please if someone has ideas help clarify some of these issues that will be very helpful
sigma
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by sigma »

Hi All

Thanks for the responses :-) Just kidding..

I know this is kind of tricky but thought of responding back with the answers we found after several tries with IBM support.

Apparently when you invoke a process chain ONE MUST GIVE OR PASS A INFOPACKAGE along with the process chain to invoke.

That INFOPACKAGE has to be within the process chain.

In other words the first job is a 2 in 1 deal where you invoke the process chain and it invokes one of the pull job.

The manual was very confusing when it starts telling to use a PUSH INFOPACKAGE where as it was really a PULL.

I think I have a litte bit better understanding and have gotten it to work.

If you have any questions please do let me know and I will try to answer any issues about calling BW objects

Regards