WAS launched but failed initialization

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

WAS launched but failed initialization

Post by ray.wurlod »

Unable to connect to admin web console for IIS or WAS. WebSphere Application Server v6 was found not to be started. Started manually but still no connection. The startServer.log shows

Code: Select all

************ Start Display Current Environment ************
Host Operating System is Windows XP, version 5.1
Java version = J2RE 1.4.2 IBM Windows 32 build cn142-20060421 (SR5) (JIT enabled: jitc), Java Compiler = jitc, Java VM name = Classic VM
was.install.root = C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer
user.install.root = C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer/profiles/default
Java Home = C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\java\jre
ws.ext.dirs = C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\java\lib;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\classes;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\lib;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\installedChannels;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\lib\ext;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\web\help;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\deploytool\itp\plugins\com.ibm.etools.ejbdeploy\runtime
Classpath = C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer/profiles/default\properties;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\properties;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\lib\bootstrap.jar;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\lib\j2ee.jar;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\lib\lmproxy.jar;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\lib\urlprotocols.jar
Java Library path = C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\java\bin;.;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\bin;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\java\bin;C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\java\jre\bin;C:\IBM\InformationServer\Server\DSComponents\bin;C:\PROGRA~1\MKSTOO~1\mksnt;C:\PROGRA~1\MKSTOO~1\bin;C:\PROGRA~1\MKSTOO~1\bin\X11;C:\PROGRA~1\MKSTOO~1\mksnt;C:\IBM\InformationServer\ASBNode\lib\cpp;C:\IBM\InformationServer\ASBNode\apps\proxy\cpp\vc60\MT_dll\bin;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\DLLShared\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Roxio Shared\9.0\DLLShared\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\IBM\SQLLIB\BIN;C:\IBM\SQLLIB\FUNCTION;C:\IBM\SQLLIB\SAMPLES\REPL;C:\IBM\SQLLIB\BIN
Current trace specification = *=info
************* End Display Current Environment *************
[17/10/08 07:44:49:250 EST] 0000000a ManagerAdmin  I   TRAS0017I: The startup trace state is *=info.
[17/10/08 07:44:49:312 EST] 0000000a AdminTool     A   ADMU0128I: Starting tool with the default profile
[17/10/08 07:44:49:312 EST] 0000000a AdminTool     A   ADMU3100I: Reading configuration for server: server1
[17/10/08 07:44:50:922 EST] 0000000a AdminTool     A   ADMU3200I: Server launched. Waiting for initialization status.
[17/10/08 07:45:12:953 EST] 0000000a AdminTool     A   ADMU3011E: Server launched but failed initialization. startServer.log, SystemOut.log(or job log in zOS) and other log files under C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer/profiles/default\logs\server1 should contain failure information.
The system used to work and now isn't. The only thing that has changed is that the machine is now on a different network and therefore has a different IP address. The host name is unchanged and the machine is in its own Workgroup (not serviced by a domain controller, etc.) It is not possible to connect to the original network, which is in a different country.

I have tried invoking the web consoles using the hostname, the IP address and 127.0.0.1, none with any success.

Does anyone have any ideas for getting the system working again?

The only "hit" on a search remains unresolved. This is a special licence that is not entitled to official support, so please refrain from advising me to consult my official support provider. I would prefer not to have to re-install.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
raycheung
Participant

Post by raycheung »

Hi Ray,

Does the log file in C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\default\logs\server1\SystemErr.log provide any more useful info on the error?

Error detail should start with a "Caused by:" at the beginning.

Cheers.
raycheung
Participant

Post by raycheung »

My initial thought is that XMETA repository is the culprit...is the SQL Server up and running as per normal since the change of network?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Thanks for response. XMETA is DB2 and it is up and running - for example I can use DB2 Control Center to inspect the tables in it. As far as I can tell all required services are running (though WebSphere App Server fails to start automatically and has to be started manually).

As for the error log, here's a small sample (!) of its contents.

Code: Select all

Caused by: com.ibm.websphere.security.CustomRegistryException: Unable to begin a transaction: [Error opening repository: [Error initializing persistence manager module]]
	at com.ascential.acs.security.directory.custom.websphere.ASBUserRegistry.checkPassword(ASBUserRegistry.java:95)
	at com.ibm.ws.security.registry.UserRegistryImpl.checkPassword(UserRegistryImpl.java:296)
	at com.ibm.ws.security.ltpa.LTPAServerObject.authenticate(LTPAServerObject.java:573)
	... 41 more
Caused by: com.ascential.acs.security.repository.ASBRepositoryException: Unable to begin a transaction: [Error opening repository: [Error initializing persistence manager module]]
	at com.ascential.acs.security.repository.ASBRepositoryImpl.begin(ASBRepositoryImpl.java:130)
	at com.ascential.acs.security.directory.custom.ASBDirectoryImpl.getRepository(ASBDirectoryImpl.java:81)
	at com.ascential.acs.security.directory.custom.ASBDirectoryImpl.checkPassword(ASBDirectoryImpl.java:130)
	at com.ascential.acs.security.directory.custom.ASBDirectory.checkPassword(ASBDirectory.java:72)
	at com.ascential.acs.security.directory.custom.websphere.ASBUserRegistry.checkPassword(ASBUserRegistry.java:90)
	... 43 more
Caused by: com.ascential.acs.security.repository.ASBRepositoryException: Error opening repository: [Error initializing persistence manager module]
	at com.ascential.acs.security.repository.ASBRepositoryImpl.getSandbox(ASBRepositoryImpl.java:529)
	at com.ascential.acs.security.repository.ASBRepositoryImpl.begin(ASBRepositoryImpl.java:128)
	... 47 more
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

We see this error when someone has decided that the "XMETA" instance isn't being used by anyone and brings it down. In this case the new IP server might not "see" or be able to connect to the XMETA repository. As raycheung mentioned, the java log file, while extremely verbose, should contain more information. I think in our case the error was right at the top of the log file and stated something to the effect "pre-connect failed.."
shiva459
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shiva459 »

I faced similar issue with WAS on windows. I was able to start the WAS service manually but it would stop again after clicking refresh. Later I found that this was an issue with my trial license validity. Please check the license expiry as first step.
shiva459
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shiva459 »

I faced similar issue with WAS on windows. I was able to start the WAS service manually but it would stop again after clicking refresh. Later I found that this was an issue with my trial license validity. Please check the license expiry as first step.

Another issue would be with the user name/pwd. Check if the WAs admin password is not expired.
shiva459
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shiva459 »

Another issue would be with the user name/pwd. Check if the WAs admin password is not expired.
shiva459
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shiva459 »

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Licence expires in July 2009. Good thought, thank you, but that's not it.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Have you tried putting the old host name/new ip address in the local Hosts file (usually in C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc)? Associate both the fully-qualified domain name and the short name with the new ip address.

From what I remember, I think the WAS install stashes the host name in a number of places.

You might check out IBM's WebSphere Application Server Information Server site if you haven't already tried that.

Mike
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Hi Ray,

My initial reaction when I saw your issue was that it was a name resolution problem. After thinking about it, that can't be the issue since using IP addresses doesn't work either.

I fully understand your desire to avoid a reinstall. It probably was no small task getting it up and running the first time. A simple IP address change should definitely not require a reinstall.

I'd guess some type of network issue. Can you describe your network setup a bit?

Are client and server on separate physical machines?

Are you using a wired LAN?

Any virtual machine software in the mix?

Do other networking functions work on both client and server? For example, can you ping other machines on the LAN?

Does the server have a static IP address?

Mike
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's a standalone laptop, on which client and server are both installed. As noted, the setup worked when first installed and only stopped working when I changed countries (and therefore network address and time zone). The IP address is served by whatever network it's connected to, which may be something like an ADSL router. I can ping other machines on the network. I can access the internet. The issue occurs whether the connection is wired or wireless.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It was a combination of factors in the end.

First, I had moved from a wire network to a wireless network. It seems that these are slightly differently handled by Windows name resolution.

Second, the XMETA user ID that is created by the installation process is created without "password never expires". This user profile needed to be changed via Local Users and Groups in Control Panel.

That engendered a third problem, a race between WebSphere Application Server and the DB2 engine/instance to be started first. Sometimes DB2 gets started first and everything is OK; if not, the solution is to start DB2 manually then start WAS manually.

Part of the diagnosis was to start WAS without verifying security. This is achieved by editing the file C:\IBM\WebSphere\AppServer\profiles\default\config\cells\PCXXNode01Cell\Security.xml and changing enabled property to "false" in the security element.
diamondabhi
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by diamondabhi »

I am having the same issue on AIX. The security.xml looks like a huge file. WHat do I exactly edit on the file to bypass the security verification issue.

DataStage: 8.0.1
DS Sever: AIX 5.3
Xmeta server: Linux and Oracle repository

Thanks,
Abhi.
Every great mistake has a halfway moment, a split second when it can be recalled and perhaps remedied.