SmallInt Datatype

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

neena
Participant

SmallInt Datatype

Post by neena »

When I tried to insert a character 'Y' into Smallint datatype column, i thought it would throw an error because the datatype is small integer but it hasn't, am i missing anything?

I did a test jobs around this, In transformer column derivation I hardcoded the value as 'Y' which has SmallInt as datatype. It hasn't given a warning.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
neena
Participant

Hi

Post by neena »

when i send characters for datatype column SmallInt it always giving me Zero as output.
But when i hardcod as '1'or '2' ' its giving me correct result.
That explains some thing which i dont know. Thanks.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What is the target? In particular is the target a text file or something else?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
neena
Participant

Post by neena »

Hi Ray,

The target, I tested with Dataset and Sequential file. I even tested with datatypes integer, decimal and double, its writing out Zero for Alpha Characters.
Job is finishing ok with no warnings, but its giving an informational message.

APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Numeric string expected . Use default value.
Numeric string expected . Use default value.

So with that said, If I use a function like StringTo Decimal() and if source data is having alpha characters will that be converted into zero then? without giving any warnings? Can we ignore this kind of messages, if we are not concerned about data that is being populated into target?
The reason i am asking this question is because of the below post. Thank you much Ray for your reply.
viewtopic.php?t=122327&highlight=numeri ... g+expected