Empty DataSet vs DataSet with records

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Empty DataSet vs DataSet with records

Post by poorna_76 »

Is there way to differentiate 'DataSet with no records' vs 'DataSet with some records'.

Is there a function or command or routine avialable.

Is it possible to control the dataset creation - if i don't have any data going to dataset, is there a way to stop the empty dataset creation.

If not, can i use any fucntions to differentiate a 'Empty DataSet' vs 'DataSet with Data'?

Thanks in Advance.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

You cannot stop creation of an empty dataset and there is no builtin function for use in jobs that would give you that information. You can use the UNIX command "orchadmin" to list the number of records, this can be called from sequence and used in jobs.
poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by poorna_76 »

ArndW wrote:You cannot stop creation of an empty dataset and there is no builtin function for use in jobs that would give you that information. You can use the UNIX command "orchadmin" to list the number of recor ...
Thanks ArndW.

We have 2 scenraios here:
1. Dataset is not getting created at all in some cases where there is no data.
2. Empty Dataset is getting created in some cases where there is no data.
(Header is greater than 0 bytes , but the Detail is 0 bytes)

So, my question is, is it safe to check for the size of the Detail Dataset, when we want to check if the Dataset is empty OR Dataset is not created?

Thanks in Advance.