DS v8 and a segmentation fault

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

DS v8 and a segmentation fault

Post by bcarlson »

We are on v8.0.1 using Teradata Connector. The job imports from a file, modifying the stream with a buildop. Another stream reads from a TD table. The output of each is hash partitioned and sorted and left-outer joined. The output of the join is filtered on the hits and no-hits of the LO join. The 2 outputs of the filter are written to datasets.

So there is a lot going on. The job as a whole has been running like this for a few years. It is back in development to convert it from DB2 to Teradata. The only stage that changed was a DB2 Ent Stage converted to a TD Connector stage. When I execute, I get the following error:
RT_SC2/OshExecuter.sh[25]: 165058 Segmentation fault(coredump)
There are no other warnings or fatal errors. The error message above doesn't even have a stage name associated with it.

I can run the TD Connect and dump to a dataset with no issues. A fellow developer converted his own copy of the job and got the same error, so at least it does not appear to be a POBKAC error ("problem occured between keyboard and chair", also known as an ID10T error).

Any suggestions?

Brad
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.
hamzaqk
Participant

Post by hamzaqk »

A segmentation fault occurs when a program attempts to access a memory location that it is not allowed to access, or attempts to access a memory location in a way that is not allowed (for example, attempting to write to a read-only location, or to overwrite part of the operating system)
try to disable operator combination and see where the exact problem is.
Teradata Certified Master V2R5
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

Turns out the issue was not necessarily TD Connector, although its error handling and messages leave something to be desired.

The issue was the bad parameters for the database name, userid and pasword. We have a routine that populates these based on a lookup (you pass in the table name and it returns the connection parms). There was a bug and the parms were not getting set correctly. In fact, they got set with very long error messages with all sorts of misc. characters. When these got passed by TD connector as databasename, userid and password - BOOM. Core dump.

We resolved the parameter issue and it worked.

Brad.
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.