Invalid Julian day

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

snt_ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Invalid Julian day

Post by snt_ds »

Hi,

I have src cols having dates as 'YYMMDD' as Varchar2(6) in an Oracle table. I am trying to convert these using

StringToTimestamp(lnk.ColName : ' 00:00:00',"%2000yy%mm%dd %hh:%nn:%ss") (Defaulting Century as 2000) to write to another Oracle table. (Proper Null handling done)

We have 24 such date conversion cols and 4,75,000 records. It is loading 3,50,000 records and then I get the error and the job aborts
"ORC_StgRefIBSDDNS,1: Fatal Error: Invalid Julian day"

I have narrowed my records down to around 30,000 recs from within which this is failing.

Any tecnique whereby I can have DS to log the record where this is failing rather than manually checking all these 30K recs for 24 columns?

Thanks,
NV
snt_ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snt_ds »

Before it aborts it throws this warning

APT_CombinedOperatorController,0: Conversion error calling conversion routine timestamp_from_string data may have been lost
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Would using the IsValid() function be an option for you?
snt_ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snt_ds »

Since the Src Col data (dates) is in String format to be converted to Timestamp for target table, I guess it will not help to use IsValid() function
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Better to profile the data in advance rather than reacting to surprises at the end. Usually these data problems are obvious... all zeros, all spaces, all nines, etc.

No need for a dedicated profiling tool... a simple parallel job with an aggregator is all you need... you've already identified the source column that needs profiling and a set of records to look at.

Mike
snt_ds
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by snt_ds »

Resolved..

I designed a seperate job and sorted it on a Key col and then loaded it to the Target oracle table..all this was done in Sequential Mode and I set the Oracle Row Commit to 1..this inserted all the records till the one which was the Culprit.. Then I went back to the Src Table and sorted it on the same key..and this way I got the record prior to the Bad one.....

One of the Date cols in Src table had data '070931' and hence was failing the conversion as Sep should have 30 and not 31 days!!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

So you have severely castigated the provider of the data? Such feedback is vital in improving data quality.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You want him to severely cut off their... oh sorry, castigate. Never mind.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers