Extra iteration in Loop Activity

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chaks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Extra iteration in Loop Activity

Post by chaks »

Hi,
I am creating a text file using comma as record delimiter,values in the file look like this

Code: Select all

000TX,000TZ,000WG,
I am reading this file with Execute command and passing it to Loop Activity,now loop finds another comma at the end and iterates again with null value. now I need your help to remove the very last comma to avoid the extra iteration.

Thanks in Advance
shiva
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

How are you creating the text file? The loop is doing the right thing as the trailing comma denotes a null or empty field at the end. Best to not generate one there in the first place.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If that's not possible include a Nested Condition activity within the loop to test whether $Counter > ""
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chaks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chaks »

Thanks Craig,
I am generating that file in another parallel job and using a sequential stage for that. I know every thing is working as they are supposed to. As i am using Execute command to read the file,Can we use any Unix command to strip off the last comma.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Probably. Or, as Ray noted, include a stage to check the value and when empty bypass whatever is in the loop.
-craig

filename.txt
Participant

Post by filename.txt »

Hi chaks,

you could also change the file (deleting the comma in unix) before Loop using execute command stage.

execute command---->Startloop<====>endloop
Thanks.

"Creativity is the ability to use your available resources to their fullest."
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

... only if you know that the final comma is always there. Otherwise the command becomes a tad more complex. Still do-able, but caution is advised.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chaks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chaks »

Thanks Filename.txt :-) & Ray

I thought Nested condition will solve the issue but It is not working, I used the below derivation in Nested Condition

StartLoop_BusUnits_List.$Counter <>'' Or StartLoop_BusUnits_List.$Counter<>' ' Or StartLoop_BusUnits_List.$Counter<>',' Or StartLoop_BusUnits_List.$Counter <> @NULL
And the job is like this

<Execute Command> --> <Loop Begin> --> <Nested Cond> --> <JOB> --> <Loop End>
As Comma is a record delimiter, it will be always there at the end, Can you give me the Unix command please.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

AND not OR. And you can't check if something is equal to or not equal to NULL as that value is unknown. Use IsNull() instead.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Assuming that the real names have more than one character:

Len(StartLoop_BusUnits_List.$Counter) <= 1 And IsNotNull(StartLoop_BusUnits_List.$Counter )
chaks
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chaks »

Hi Craig
I tried to check with IsNull but that failed, I don't know why, Finally I Used Len($Counter) > 2 in the Nested condition, Which resolved my issue.

Thanks Every one for your Support!
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It probably failed because IsNull() is not really the test you wanted. It was IsNotNull(), as I posted.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

My 'IsNull' advice was generic, strictly meant as an example of how to test for null and not meant to be applied directly to this problem. It seemed pretty obvious to me that one would need to 'not' it in this context. Ah, well... c'est la guerre.
-craig

afriend2stay4ever
Participant

Post by afriend2stay4ever »

chulett wrote:How are you creating the text file? The loop is doing the right thing as the trailing comma denotes a null or empty field at the end. Best to not generate one there in the first place. ...
run fillowing command to put the out put in a single line and remove the last comma

ls *FILE_PATTERN| awk '{ ORS=","; print; }'|sed '$s/,$//g'

sri