Update DS job hanging

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ds_my_job
Participant

Update DS job hanging

Post by ds_my_job »

There is simple parallel DS job which has a data set and Oracle Enterprize Stage. The data is read from data set and rows are updated in table in Oracle. Oracle stage has upsert mode with update statement.

The jobs shows inital 1000 rows are read and then job hangs...DS director is not showing any specific errors. We had to kill job.. We checked with DBAs and there are no table specific locks..

I would appreciate if anybody has encountered this beofre and can offer some advice..
ds_my_job
Participant

more info

Post by ds_my_job »

Here is more info on problem given above...

when DS job is from perl script we are seeing following info in Perl job log
Error running job

Status code = -2 DSJE_BADSTATE
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This status code means that the job is not in a runnable state. Aborted, stopped by operator or "unknown" (underlying process killed without DataStage being able to record the status) are some of these states. In this case you must reset the job before it is once again runnable. Recompiling is slightly more severe but will also restore a job to a runnable state.

Your Perl script should detect whether a job is in a runnable state before attempting to run it. Where it is not, the script should reset the job and then once again check whether it is in a runnable state before attempting to run it.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.