Droping Oracle Table

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

etldeveloper2050
Participant

Droping Oracle Table

Post by etldeveloper2050 »

Hi,
I am trying to drop a table using routine. My Table name is ERR$_EMPLOYEE but RunSQL routine is taking table name as ERR i.e. its taking $ as end of line. PFB the code:

SQL: Drop table ERR$_EMPLOYEE
Call DSU.RunSQL(iCheckStat, I.DB_NAME, I.DB_USER, I.DB_PWD, SQL )

I am not able to find RunSQL routine to check if its using $ as end of line. Please suggest me some way to drop a table which contains special characters through routine.

Thanks.
tkbharani
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tkbharani »

Did you try using Double quotes. Else pass it in a variable and then use it by calling it.
Thanks, BK
etldeveloper2050
Participant

tkbharani wrote:Did you try using Double quotes. Else pass it in a variable and then use it by calling it.
Yeah i passed it as parameter.

PFB the log:
Display: DROP TABLE ERR$_EMPLOYEE;
--->It displays the SQL properly
Output: DROP TABLE ERR
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
-->Routine is taking $ as end of line. thus trying to drop table ERR instead of ERR$_EMPLOYEE.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The "DSU" prefix means it is a user written BASIC routine, so the only one that can fix or trouble shoot it is you and yours. Check the Routines\Custom branch of the repository from the Manager for starters.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
etldeveloper2050
Participant

chulett wrote:The "DSU" prefix means it is a user written BASIC routine, so the only one that can fix or trouble shoot it is you and yours. Check the Routines\Custom branch of the repository from the Manager ...
Yeah its a user routine.. problem is i have not coded that and i dont know also where it is? i tried to find it but no success.... :cry:
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM DS_ROUTINES WHERE @ID = 'RunSQL';
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
etldeveloper2050
Participant

ray.wurlod wrote:

Code: Select all

SELECT * FROM DS_ROUTINES WHERE @ID = 'RunSQL';
Thanks wurlod.. i got the routine. Its executing the SQL query using Dsexecute.
Call DSExecute("UNIX", command, Output, RetCode)

SQL query passed properly to this routine but the DSExecute function is taking "$" as end of line. Please suggest what can be done to enable d routine to read it as ERR$_EMPLOYEE instead of ERR.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Who knows? You see, none of us can see the routine code. :roll:
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
etldeveloper2050
Participant

ray.wurlod wrote:Who knows? You see, none of us can see the routine code. :roll: ...
:lol: ... can you suggest me where can i get more info. on DSExecute.

I want to know how we can pass tablename with $ to DSExecute so that it considers "$" also part of query.
For Ex:
Below code, i am assigning database details and sql query "DROP TABLE ERR$_EMPLOYEE" into the variable command.

Call DSExecute("UNIX", command, Output, RetCode)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DROP TABLE is not a UNIX command. You'd have to wrap that in an sqlplus script or similar.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Have you tried escaping it? Put a back-slash before the dollar sign.
-craig

etldeveloper2050
Participant

chulett wrote:Have you tried escaping it? Put a back-slash before the dollar sign. ...
Yahooo......... back-slash thing is working... table is getting dropped. can you please explain me the logic behind backslash... is it something like it will look for similar tables or it will tell DSExecute that "$" is part of the table name? why i am asking is i should not end up with dropping others table... :lol:

anywayz, Thanks alot everyone specially chullet and ray for your help.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

The latter. It's a normal convention when working with metacharacters and you escape them so they become a literal instead of being interpreted by the shell/program/parser/whatever.

Please mark the thread as Resolved using the big button at the top of the screen.
-craig

etldeveloper2050
Participant

chulett wrote:The latter. It's a normal convention when working with metacharacters and you escape them so they become a literal instead of being interpreted by the shell/program/parser/whatever.

Please mark the thread as Resolved using the big button at the top of the screen.
Ok. Thanks Chullet.