Connecting to Mainframe DB2 from PX

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

shnmgm
Participant

Connecting to Mainframe DB2 from PX

Post by shnmgm »

Hi,

From the help, i understand that enterprise edition DB2/UDB API stage can access only DB2 running on Unix or Windows i.e., (DB2 Univeral Database).

Are there are any options available in DS PX to source data from Mainframe plateform DB2, i.e, similar to Oracle or Teradata etc.

i.e., Mainframe DB2 (Source) -> BusinessRules:Transform Stage -> Mainframe DB2 (Target).

If this is not possible, how can we acheive the same in DS PX ? any workaround solutions ?

Thanks in advance !

Shanmugam
Cheers,
Shan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The DB2/API stage can communicate via DB2 Connect software to any DB2 on any platform.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
venkatvelpula
Participant

Post by venkatvelpula »

ray.wurlod wrote:The DB2/API stage can communicate via DB2 Connect software to any DB2 on any platform. ...
You can even use odbc or DRS stage for any database, but these stages lower the performance.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What does "performance" mean in this context?

And what does "lower" mean in the same context?

What empirical evidence do you have to support your assertion, and can you provide these numbers?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

You can even use odbc or DRS stage for any database, but these stages lower the performance.
ODBC is not necessarily slower, maybe it doesnt provide all functionality that a Native API stage does with the respective database. Anyone whose been through Data Direct's wire protocol ODBC driver documentation should probably get the idea.