How to join

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pradeep_nov18
Participant

How to join

Post by pradeep_nov18 »

Please let me know how to join to two tables/files with out common column.
Approachs made:
Techinque1:adding a dummy column on both side and giving column extended properties algorithm=cycle and value=1 and increment=0 than it wil lead to cartesion product but we wil not be getting the required result
Techinque2:making all the metadata same in both table and using funnel stage to join both tables but the draw back is,Suppose if the tables is having more column then there it wil lead to complex for matching both sides and even we have to delete the data from the extra column using constraints.

please let me how to achieve or correct me if there is wrong in my approach.
pradeep.v
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Technique 1.

Technique 2 is a UNION ALL, not a JOIN.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pradeep_nov18
Participant

Post by pradeep_nov18 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Technique 1.

Technique 2 is a UNION ALL, not a JOIN. ...
thanks for the reply Ray,

So how to perform join without common column.Please let me know how to acheieve that.
pradeep.v
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not possible. Technique 1 was specifically "add a dummy column". Use a column generator stage upstream on each input link to the Join stage.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pradeep_nov18
Participant

Post by pradeep_nov18 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Not possible. Technique 1 was specifically "add a dummy column". Use a column generator stage upstream on each input link to the Join stage. ...
Thanks for the reply Ray

ya i have tried that but still it is leading the cartesian product :(.
pradeep.v
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

So what is "the desired result"? Give a brief example of rows from inputs and expected output.
pradeep_nov18
Participant

Post by pradeep_nov18 »

ray.wurlod wrote:So what is "the desired result"? Give a brief example of rows from inputs and expected output. ...
Suppose there are two tables(A1,A2) with out common column,I want to fetch one column From A2 and join two tables with existing column of the A1 and map all the column to target.and if suppose a1 is having 17,500 records and A2 is having 2500 records,I have insert that 2500 records of col.A2 in to target table with all the column of A1 with record count of 17,500

please how to achieve that
pradeep.v
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Which part of "examples of rows" wasn't clear?
pradeep_nov18
Participant

Post by pradeep_nov18 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Which part of "examples of rows" wasn't clear? ...
Table A2 record has to populate with existing table A1 to target table how do these.

Thanks,
pradeep.v
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

That doesn't help. :roll:

Show us some examples of data on both inputs, together with what you expect to get on the output.

Also show us what you have tried, and explain more fully what you mean by "does not work".
Ramani
Participant

Post by Ramani »

pradeep_nov18 wrote:
ray.wurlod wrote:So what is "the desired result"? Give a brief example of rows from inputs and expected output. ...
Suppose there are two tables(A1,A2) with out common column,I want to fetch one column From A2 and join two tables with existing column of the A1 and map all the column to target.and if suppose a1 is having 17,500 records and A2 is having 2500 records,I have insert that 2500 records of col.A2 in to target table with all the column of A1 with record count of 17,500

please how to achieve that
----------------Output rows?
2500 17500 43750000
2500 17500 2500
2500 17500 17500
2500 17500 20000
2500 17500 15000

Which way??
Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Cartesian product.
Inner join or left outer join.
Right outer join.
UNION ALL.
Difference (sometimes called "minus").
pradeep_nov18
Participant

Post by pradeep_nov18 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Cartesian product.
Right outer join.
UNION ALL.
Difference (sometimes called "minus"). ...
Thanks Ray,

accordling to your solution for the example,I got wat i have perform right outer join.but the output(ex:2500 as below) and it should be left outer join cannn't be inner join right :? .if we perform inner join definately it wil lead to cartesian product.
pradeep.v
pradeep_nov18
Participant

Post by pradeep_nov18 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Cartesian product.
Right outer join.
UNION ALL.
Difference (sometimes called "minus"). ...
Thanks Ray,

accordling to your solution for the example,I got wat i have perform right outer join.but the output(ex:2500 as below) and it should be left outer join cannn't be inner join right :? .if we perform inner join definately it wil lead to cartesian product.
pradeep.v
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

An inner join (those rows that exist in both sets) can never be the same as a Cartesian product (all rows from the right input joined to every row from the left input). If the left input contains N rows and the right input contains M rows, then an inner join will return the smaller of N and M rows, whereas a Cartesian product will return N*M rows.