Parameter Sets- Not passing value to jobs from sequence

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wahi80
Participant

Parameter Sets- Not passing value to jobs from sequence

Post by wahi80 »

Hi,

I have a sequence which calls n number of jobs.
I have also defined a parameter set, which is called both in the sequence and the job.

I created the parameter set by adding user defined variables from Administartor. So the parameter set by default has the same values as defined in Administrator. When I run the sequence without changing any parameter all the jobs are executed and run fine.

But when I change any parameter at the beginning of the run of the sequence, the subsequent jobs still take the old parameter value.

Any idea why this is happening or what I need to change?

Regards
Wah
joffijoy
Participant

Post by joffijoy »

Have you made sure that, parameter you passes to called Jobs are set to parameter set values?
wahi80
Participant

Post by wahi80 »

Hi,

Im just using the (As-predefined) option in all the jobs I call within the sequence. When I run the the sequence, I use the same (As-predefined) option but want to change some parameter.

I am assuming that this parameter should flow to all jobs within the sequence
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Parameter sets can be tricky to work with. In our current project we've seen such value propagation problems and seen that there are known issues, but if I recall correctly we encountered issues when using parameter set values in shared and local containers, not from a sequence calling a job.
How are you passing the values to the suquences - as explicit "parameterset.parameter" values or are you passing the whole parameter set to the job in one line?
deanwalker
Participant

Re: Parameter Sets- Not passing value to jobs from sequence

Post by deanwalker »

Contact support, there is a patch for this issue.
singhald
Participant

Post by singhald »

I think you are defining the user defined enviornment varible as parameters in the job also.

check your job , dont pass the user defined enviornment variables as parameters in the job ,

pass the user defined enviornment varibles to only in sequencer and pass them inside the job activity .

Please let me know if it is not clear to you

Regards,
Regards,
Deepak Singhal
Everything is okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end.
wahi80
Participant

Post by wahi80 »

Im passing the complete parameter set to the job, no user defined environment variables are passed to the job

Another work around Im thinking is to define all the variables to $PROJDEF in parameter set.
But thing is if anyone wants to change any variable on run they have to open Administrator and make change.

I think this is a bug, but still looking for a workaround
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

wahi80 wrote:Another work around Im thinking is to define all the variables to $PROJDEF in parameter set.
But thing is if anyone wants to change any variable on run they have to open Administrator and make change.
That is not true. When a run request is issued you can override any individual parameter value, in the Job Run Options dialog in Director or using the -param name=value option in the dsjob command.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
wahi80
Participant

Post by wahi80 »

ray.wurlod wrote:
wahi80 wrote:Another work around Im thinking is to define all the variables to $PROJDEF in parameter set.
But thing is if anyone wants to change any variable on run they have to open Administrator ...
Yes that is correct, but as mentioned above when I try to override the parameter in the run options, the new value is not passed to the jobs called within the sequence, they still end up taking the old value