what the difference between using ODBC and oracle

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

LavanyaRamesh007
Participant

what the difference between using ODBC and oracle

Post by LavanyaRamesh007 »

what the difference between using ODBC and oracle stage. What are the factors that needs to be considered to choose it?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

ODBC uses ODBC protocols (ODBC being a standard invented by Microsoft originally). Oracle stages use Oracle Client Interface (OCI) protocols.

The difference between "using" them is simply which one you choose to emplace in your job design.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Jasti
Participant

Post by Jasti »

Oracle Enterprise Stage is specifically for Oracle Database where as the ODBC is for Open Data Base Connectivity.
There are some other Database stages like DB2/UDB, TeraData, Informix, Sybase.. etc which are Vendor specific and are designed to have good performance for that perticular database.
Relatively the performance of ODBC stage is less but we can use it for accessing various databases like Progress for which we do not have specific stages in DataStage..
Thanks,
Mohan.A.Jasti.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I tend to stick with native interfaces over ODBC 100% of the time. That's just my preference, mostly because you don't have as many options with ODBC. And the whole concept of 'ODBC is less performant' is pretty much an urban myth, especially in this day and age.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers