Generating Alphanumeric sequence using Row Generator

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

visvacfirvin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Generating Alphanumeric sequence using Row Generator

Post by visvacfirvin »

Is there a way to generate alphanumeric sequence using Row generator? If so what option should i set. I tried the algorithm alphabets, its generating the values by taking each character at a time for a row.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not really. You could use a Cycle to generate a single character alphanumeric field, but beyond that you need multiple stages (Lookups and Transformer).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
visvacfirvin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by visvacfirvin »

Thanks Ray. Was trying different options in Row Generator for long time. Tht clears my confusion. :)
visvacfirvin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by visvacfirvin »

Ray,
This question is repeatedly asked in interviews. Is there a way we could use functions in row generator to generate alphanumeric sequence?

Thanks,
Firvin
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No.

There is (currently) no scope for user-defined generator routines in the Row or Column Generator stages.

You could build your own (Build) stage, or you could invoke your own routine from a Transformer stage. That exhausts the possibilities in the current version.

If you would like to see this capability, and particularly if you can estabilsh a business case justifying it, then you can submit an enhancement request either through your support provider or through DSXchange or DeveloperWorks.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
visvacfirvin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by visvacfirvin »

Oh. Thanks Ray!!!