DS performance isssues with Designer.

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Alainb
Participant

DS performance isssues with Designer.

Post by Alainb »

We are in the process of developing DS Parallel Jobs. There is a relatively small number of developers (2-3) working in our dev environment.

The Repository is on UDB on a separate physical server then the DS engine and the WAS.

We are experiencing HUGE lag in response from the GUI. Especially for one job that contains about 40 stages (transformers, and aggregators). It can take up to 10 minutes to open a transformer! The network is being monitored and does not seem to be the problem. We see large number of locks on the DB (2 millions) for short burst of times. The source file being read has 300 fields.

We have sent IBM Support the config files for the DB. And are awaiting susggestions from them.

WHat could be causing these delays? Could the model of the repository be at cause (cascading locks, etc)? Has anybody experienced something similar? Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks
satish_valavala
Participant

Post by satish_valavala »

There could be many reasons. One of the reason could be low memory at the client machine(s). Preferably over 1GB RAM.
Regards
VS
bcarlson
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by bcarlson »

I think IBM recommends a minimum of 2GB on the client side. I am not sure, I just know that our management was requesting a list of all laptops/pc with less than 2GB so that they could be upgraded before we switch to v8.

Brad.
It is not that I am addicted to coffee, it's just that I need it to survive.