delete orphan dataset

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

RayLade
Charter Member
Charter Member

delete orphan dataset

Post by RayLade »

Is it OK to use a unix rm statement to remove the orphan datasets in my resource disk "/cba_app/dstemp/iis_fdm/datasets/temp01" {pools ""} directories ?
I would use orchadmin rm on them, but the dataset definition files have already been deleted.
Ray Lade
Kirtikumar
Participant

Post by Kirtikumar »

Normally for Dataset descriptor deletion, orchadmin or Dataset management utility should be used, which ensure descriptor and raw data files, both are deleted.

If the descriptor are deleted usin unix rm command without considering the raw data files, how will you find out which the orphan raw data files and which are not?
If you have the list of them, then I do not think there is any harm in doing that.
Regards,
S. Kirtikumar.
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

If the Descriptor file has been deleted using rm command, then you have no choice left out, other than deleting the data file using rm command. But as mentiond, you need to be carfull about the data file that do not belong to any other descripot file.
Optionally, you can try to create another dummy dataset with the same name, and check if the data file been replace. If so, you can delete the newly created dataset using orchadmin -rm command.
Impossible doesn't mean 'it is not possible' actually means... 'NOBODY HAS DONE IT SO FAR'
RayLade
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RayLade »

Thank you both for your feedback.
I know the name of the orphan datasets as their raw data filenames contain the name of the user who created them.
I shall go through my four temp directories and rm away the orphans.

thanks again for the prompt advice.
Ray Lade
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What about the control files (*.ds)? If you specify these, using either the GUI or the orchadmin command (orchadmin rm controlfile.ds), then the actual data files are automagically removed too.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ds2000
Premium Member
Premium Member

Finding & Deleting Orphan Dataset in Windows

Post by ds2000 »

I want to find and delete orphan and datasets not being used in windows. How can i do that ?

Thanks in advance.
sud
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Finding & Deleting Orphan Dataset in Windows

Post by sud »

It took me fifteen years to discover I had no talent for ETL, but I couldn't give it up because by that time I was too famous.