Teradata Installation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

venkatvelpula
Participant

Teradata Installation

Post by venkatvelpula »

Hi,

Anyone, Please let me know the hardware and software components required for using teradata database stage for both server and parallel jobs.

I am trying find out information about installing teradata utilities foundation on all nodes for parallel jobs. If any one has links or docs, let me know.
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by John Smith »

Have you tried the Teradata website?
In terms of h/w and s/w, that depends on what you need it for. Your question is too general.
venkatvelpula
Participant

Post by venkatvelpula »

Let me know the check list of components, connecting to teradata db from datastage
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by John Smith »

The Teradata Enterprise stage is installed when you install Datastage, so you don't need any checklist. Just do your typical install.
venkatvelpula
Participant

Post by venkatvelpula »

I can see that teradata library's installed on the server. Do I need to install teradata utilities to use both server and parallel teradata db stage?

What needs to be configured initially to connect teradata db using odbc stage?
venkatvelpula
Participant

Post by venkatvelpula »

I can see that teradata library's installed on the server. Do I need to install teradata utilities to use both server and parallel teradata db stages?

What needs to be configured initially to connect teradata db using odbc stage?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Read about Teradata Utilities Foundation (TUF). That's basically what you need to have installed on your DataStage server machine (and also on any other machine in a cluster/grid from which you intend to access Teradata).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
venkatvelpula
Participant

Post by venkatvelpula »

I know that teradata utilities foundation needs to be installed on datastge servers. Do we need to install odbc drivers for teradata to access using odbc stage?

What needs to be done to access new teradata db using odbc stage?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, you will need an ODBC driver to access any database using the ODBC stage. However, an ODBC driver for Teradata ships with DataStage. All you ought to need to do is configure the DSN (by editing the .odbc.ini file) and make it available to a project (by editing uvodbc.config in the project).
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
John Smith
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by John Smith »

venkatvelpula wrote:I know that teradata utilities foundation needs to be installed on datastge servers. Do we need to install odbc drivers for teradata to access using odbc stage?

What needs to be done to access new teradata db using odbc stage?
Typically you are better off using the Teradata Enterprise stage rather than ODBC for Teradata. So if you have TD Enterpise stage working you don't need odbc. The performance of TD Enterprise stage is much better as it is based on Teradata Fast load.
venkatvelpula
Participant

Post by venkatvelpula »

Thanks for your reply Ray. Please let me know, how to pick and configure the odbc drivers provided by datastage?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I did, in my previous post.
venkatvelpula
Participant

Post by venkatvelpula »

Ray,

Where can I find odbc drivers comes with datastage? Where to configure dsn?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Premium membership will, among other things, allow you to read the entire posts of the five premium posters. Premium membership is one of the ways that the hosting and bandwidth costs of DSXchange are funded. It's not expensive (less than 30c, or Rs12) per day.