Column tab has no content

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

RayLade
Charter Member
Charter Member

Column tab has no content

Post by RayLade »

After a new datastage 7.5.1A client installation, the column tab of processing stages have no content. It is a tried and prooved "network" datastage installation on a "supposedly" stock standard XP workstation designed for data stage development.

Should I be looking at operating system problems, or environment settings? All ideas greatly appreciated
Ray Lade
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Obvious question, but someone has to ask. Have you PUT any metadata onto the link (that is, have you loaded any table definition into the Columns grid on either end of the link)?

Can you see the columns on the passive stage end of the link?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
RayLade
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RayLade »

[quote="ray.wurlod"]Obvious question, but someone has to ask. Have you PUT any metadata onto the link (that is, have you loaded any table definition into the Columns grid on either end of the link)?

I have this problem even when I open an existing functioning job
Ray Lade
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you have Runtime Column Propagation enabled it is sufficient; the job design may have completely empty column grids. Is this, perhaps, the case?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
RayLade
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RayLade »

Runtime Column Propagation is not enabled and the job design does not have empty column grids. It seems that every Processing Stage has the column tab empty. Even transformers have empty column panels (the two lower ones). I have completely removed DS (even used regedit to totally remove), reinstalled to no avail. Next I am going to try to install on another machine which has the same build of OS as mine to see if it is an OS strangeness... a great way to start a new contract
Ray Lade
RayLade
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RayLade »

conclusion:
the download of DS did not complete,
the install seemed to cope, but resulted in a partial install
the uninstall did not delete the download

thanks for your help
Ray Lade
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

So what is the workaround? Does this problem occur only on your client, or all clients using this standard network install?
RayLade
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by RayLade »

It only fails on my workstation.
The problem is that the download of ds did not complete or failed.
DS installs, but only partially.
It uninstalls, but when re-installing, uses the partially downloaded ds package.

I believe if I could delete the download, then force a new download, all would be well.

That is my proposed work around. Unfortunately, I do not have admin rights, and our administrators are... how can I put this... special!
Ray Lade