Location of dsenv

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

aramachandra
Participant

Location of dsenv

Post by aramachandra »

Hi

We are trying to setup the latest version of DataStage ( Or IBM Information Server). Version 8.x.x

By default the location of the dsenv is /home/dsadm.

For a security perspective, being in initial phase of installation we are all using the dsadm unix account that is defined to have its home directory as /home/dsadm.

We are now trying to setup the dsenv file to have variables for access via Oracle Enterprise stage. In other words I am trying to setup the ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID and the paths in the dsenv.

We think we can easily do that in the dsenv file in /home/dsadm location.

<b>My problem or question is as follows</B>

Since currently we are all using dsadm unix account to log into datastage, it might be ok to define in /home/dsadm/dsenv file to have the above variables.

Once we start using our own accounts for access, our home directories will not be /home/dsadm.

Typically how does one source the dsenv profile for individual user accounts.

1) Is typical practice to individually modify the personal profile to source from dsenv that way when they log on individual they will be able to get all the needed variables and paths defined.

2) Or should we move the dsenv file to a more common location like
/usr/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSEngine
Then source dsenv profile from there

I just wanted to know what typically is followed as a practice. If I am completely off-base or I have not been clear enough in explaining my problem please let me know

Assuming everytime one logs into datastage via a account ( as it is a unix account on the box), it will source its profile file to setup the environment so that datastage enterprise database stages can work properly:

<b>In short I would like to know how to source the dsenv profile for individual user accounts.</B>
aramachandra
Participant

Post by aramachandra »

I should clarify, I want to know what is the best practice when it comes to the location of the dsenv file? That will help me drive how to setup individual user accounts to source that profile
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's just a file. Provided it is readable by all, its location should not present an issue.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I don't believe this has changed for 8.x but dsenv is located in $DSHOME. And for DataStage use, you don't need to source it at all regardless of userid.
Last edited by chulett on Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
aramachandra
Participant

Post by aramachandra »

I though the dsenv file is required for a user id to connect as it defines the library path etc.

If I understand the last response, would a user be able to connect to datastage if we remove dsenv.

I am adding the ORACLE_HOME AND ORACLE_SID in the dsenv file.

If the file's location does not matter, then how would a new user be able to pick those variables if we do not reference dsenv in the new user's profile
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Because the location of dsenv is recorded in $DSHOME and/or /.dshome.
The location does not matter; being able to find it does matter.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
aramachandra
Participant

Post by aramachandra »

Thanks for the explanation and clarification.

I will mark this resolved.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

aramachandra wrote:If the file's location does not matter, then how would a new user be able to pick those variables if we do not reference dsenv in the new user's profile
I just want to touch on this, reiterate it one more time. Individual users at the command line may need to source dsenv to work in the dssh shell or to run the various commands in bin, so they would need to "know where it is" or it can be added to their profile so it is set all the time. To me, this is more of an Admin need than a regular user need. The vast majority of the developers I've worked with over the years wouldn't know a TCL prompt from a TCBY store. :wink:

However, anyone connecting through the client will not need to worry about all that as the engine 'knows' where dsenv is and keeps it 'sourced' in the runtime environment automatically for everyone - with or without dsenv being in each individual's .profile file.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers